Chapter 6 - Breakaway

This chapter i wish to dedicate to my anonimous editors, they both know who they are.  They have supported me and gave me the confidence to continue posting, along with challenging me with ideas for the story.  To them an inmense thanks...

Aerynsun

A/N: the song included in this chapter is one that spoke to me of how she felt after all that has happened and what her soul is already saying to her.  Anyone interested in the lyrics here is a lync: 

http://www.metrolyrics.com/breakaway-lyrics-kelly-clarkson.html

-----------------------------------------

2012 @ Aerynsun  All Rights Reserved

Edited by @psdoffhby

"Samanta, Samanta, please wake up.”  Scott said to Samanta as she slumped on his chest catching her just in time before she fell to the floor. 

She felt cold, and this time the touch between them did not generate the tingles he was getting accustomed to.  After a few minutes, Samanta stirred in his arms, but still could not awaken.  A head nurse quickly came to Scott's side and started to inquire on the situation.  Scott placed his arms underneath her and carried her bridal style over to the room the nurses directed them too.  The head nurse started giving instructions to the other nurses to commence the routine check on the new patient. 

He came up to a door with Room A on it and opened it pushing his back against it.  Very slowly he laid her on the hospital bed, and started to recede allowing the nurses to work on her. 

The nurse started to put IVs, and heart monitors to her chest.  A doctor came in right after, and started to question the nurses for vitals and other medical parameters.   Scott understood he was no longer needed and reluctantly, he turned around ready to exit the room.   He was about to reach the door knob to open it, when a nurse called to his attention… 

"Do you know her name?""

"She said Samanta, without an h, Samanta Monserrate."

"Is there any next of kin we should phone to let them know she is here?"

- "No, she hasn't mentioned anyone, she…." Scott was cut short by the sudden movements he saw out of the corner of his eye. 

Samanta started to stir on the hospital bed; she placed her hand on her side touching her ribs, while wincing from the pain.  When she opened her eyes, a middle aged woman in nurse attire stood close to her.  She had brown hair, and mocha colored eyes, with very fair skin.  The warmth in her demeanor gave Samanta a peaceful feeling that reminded her of her mother.

"Samanta, honey, I am Nurse Lucy Simms; you are at Mount Sinai Hospital, you were brought here by this young man here.  Do you know him?

"Oh….yes….his name is Scott…Scott O'Brian….

"And he is to you…?

"A close friend" Samanta answered quickly without hesitation, looking directly at the nurse.  She then turned her gaze to Scott, her eyes full of gratitude.   Scott was locked in her gaze, those emerald eyes had him entranced.  He could read in her eyes how grateful she was, but something else lurked there.  And before he could decipher what it was, it was gone.  Samanta turned her gaze to the nurse, who had already started to clear her throat.

"Yes, Miss Lucy, you were saying?"

"Samanta, based on the EMT report you may have broken ribs, and you were unconscious for some time.  You will be taken upstairs for some X rays and CT scans, so as to assess the course of action.  But I can tell you right now, you need someone to watch over you in the next hours.  You need to be woken up every 2 hrs.  as a safety measure to ensure your wellbeing.  I need to know if you have anyone whom you can count to check up on you."

"At present I don't have anyone, but don't worry.  As soon as you release me I will get a cab, and figure something out …" she said while looking at the floor.  She didn't want her face to give away that she had no place to go.  And Anthony's place was the last place she wished to be.

"Samanta, honey, you need to understand this."  The nurse said sternly to her.  "You won't be released from the hospital unless we have a signed form of whomever is going to care for you, with the discussion of care you need fully understood."

"I'll do it."  Snapped Scott at the two women who had been carrying on a conversation without paying attention to him.  Both women whipped their heads to where he was sitting in the room.

"No,     you have done enough for me" motioned Samanta while shaking her head to him.

 "Yes I want to help you and you don't owe me anything" 

"NO you don't!

"Yes I will!"

"OK, shush you two lovebirds, we will settle this later." Scott and Samnata stopped immediately their discussion, blushing slightly at the word lovebirds Nurse Lucy had mentioned. 

-"Now Samanta, you will be going up for your tests, based on that will go from there" Nurse Lucy mentioned to Samanta with a warm smile on her face. 

Samanta nodded to Nurse Lucy.  An orderly started to wheel the gurney out of the room on to the elevators.  Scott hurried behind the gurney trying to catch-up to it.

"I will go with her"   

"No you don't young man, you will follow me, we need to take care of those cuts on your hands and check you up” said Nurse Lucy pointing at him with a very serious look on her face.

"But I…”

"No buts and its final.  You don't want to cross me.  Now say goodbye to her, you will see her in a while" told Nurse Lucy in a commanding tone to Scott, lifting her face to look at him.

"I will see you very soon, I will be right here waiting for you" Scott grabbed her hand and squeezed gently trying to reassure her.  Samantha looked at him and squeezed back on his hand acknowledging him.

 "Ok" she said and released his hand.

Scott kept his gaze on her until she disappeared after the double green doors that lead to the elevators.  He let out a breath he had been holding, and turned on his heels, walking with Nurse Lucy back to the ER area.

On the elevator, Samanta replayed the recent events.  What am I to do?  Where I am going to go to?  I can't go back to Anthony's.  If I do, they will find me and who knows what else they will do to me or my family. 

And then there was her relationship with Anthony.  Samanta had gotten used to living with Anthony if that is what you called living.  She had almost mastered the art of walking on eggshells around him.  Never knowing what mood Anthony would be in when he woke up or got home.  He could be all loving some days, being attentive to all her needs.  But on other days, he could be a nightmare.  His insults, humiliations restrictions, or his physical abuse, little by little had destroyed her freedom and her confidence.  And the worst part was that with each passing day the good days were fewer and fewer.

She was not allowed to see her friends, nor her family.  She barely could talk to them every once in a while he was not around.  She hated the fact that she had to lie, had too much stuff to do at work, had commitments, and that everything was fine with Anthony.   Her mother always gave her "la bendición" prior to hanging up, the one constant she always asked, hoping that her blessing would make everything magically alright.

She also remembered her mother telling her to never allow someone else to use her, to walk over her like a doormat.  That she needed to remain strong through the storms, cause in the end, the sun would always shine.  If she ever let the storms take her, she would lose her mind and her soul.

She wished so much to Breakaway, to spread her wings and fly away, and feel free. 

And after all she had endured so far, she was determined, she would take a chance.  She said to herself, that some way, somehow she would make a change and breakaway.