Fifty five

It’s very cold when I walk back into my room, fully collapsing on the bed with my clothes on. I climb out of them and settle beneath my cover, in my usual T-shirt and just underwear. I try to sleep all the worry off, but I stay to stare at the ceiling, remembering everything that happened and how Zayn said Liam used me. Is it true? Did he really use me?

I also think about Frankie and how she said she has seen Liam before. That means, she actually has seen Zayn before, as ‘Brad’, and Liam must’ve been with him. But I am still so confused because, according to Tommo, ‘Brad’ was the reason he got on the dating site, and how much of a coincidence was it to for Zayn and I to actually meet? Does Veronica have anything to do with this? How does Niall know Zayn?

It’s really late, somewhere around 4 o’clock in the morning, when I hear a knock on the door. Ignoring it, I turn to my side and tell myself it’s all in my head, that it’s totally impossible for someone to be knocking on my door by this time. My neighbors will never do that and the only person who’d be here is Liam, which is the last person I expect to see. I get to my feet and rush to the door, peeking through the hole and realizing it is Zayn. I immediately pull the door open and gasp, covering my mouth when I see how bloody he is.

“Oh my God!” I tug him in, wounded and astonished by his appearance. Several deep bruises surround his cheek, chin and eyes, I almost don’t recognize him. “What are you doing here?! You should be at the hospital! Why aren’t you there?” With his arm over my shoulder, he can’t even walk but I get him to my bathroom and make him sit on the toilet seat with the lid closed, while my hands tremble as I try to find the first aid kit from the cabinet and get the cotton board, band aids and Ibuprofen out of the box.

I am like a mad person, rooting for a frozen packet of vegetables in my fridge, a flannel over my shoulder. I never really expected him to come. I put everything in the sink and look down at him. “Remove your shirt.” My voice trips.

He seems a bit unsure, but does it anyway, peeling it off, showing his skin. I kneel down to touch his ribs, making him wince from pain. “I think I should take you to the hospital.”

“No…no hospital,” he waves his hand at me, too tired to even speak.

“Why did you come to me, Zayn?”

“You were the only person I thought of.”  Only those words that fell from his lips were enough to ignite a spark in me, but that was not the deal right now, his injuries were.

I don’t say anything towards that, instead I try to clean his face up, and after several minutes of yelling, it’s over and he has a frozen packet on his face as I lead him out of my bathroom.

“I am so, so sorry for coming here like this, I should go.”

“Don’t be silly, look at you!” I pull him back to stop him from leaving. “And you can’t drive in such state.”

He gives up with a low groan and sighs, looking at me. “I am sorry.”

“For?”