44

"How do you know about it?" I asked.

"The whole kingdom is talking about it; a feast to honour and remember the lost princess, and show that they haven't lost hope, I guess. Combined with the harvest feast, as all your birthdays were. Did you know that the odd imposter still comes wandering in? But that's another matter," said Laura.

"Eh, and what's the reason you're telling me this? We can't exactly go and join the party."

"Well, that is what I came to tell you. We've been thinking about going."

I raised an eyebrow. "Who, what, why? And let me guess, it isn't allowed."

"Of course not, fool, that's the fun of it." – I had to agree on that point. Forbidden things definitely were funner – was that even a word? – "And just a few of us, not the whole gang, as that would be noticed much quicker. Flynn and I were thinking us, the Otter and Merla, maybe little Tara? She's really fun in a party. We'd leave after the celebrations and sundown here, head for the city with a good disguise. Believe me, it's gonna be great. A kind of mini adventure."

"I have to admit it sounds appealing."

"Good, see ya this evening by the pool, we'll start planning."

The rest of the day I felt a little excited and nervous, just a tiny bit, like a small child keeping a secret, but much less. As the sun started to set, I walked through the shadows silently, practicing. I left Snoozle behind. Nobody saw me, or at least didn't show it. Merla was already there, and I seated myself beside her in silence. Next came the twins – now that there were two pairs, that reference was a bit vague, but we still used it once in a while –,  small Tara and the Otter last. The size before Tara was a bit childish, but that was when they'd started calling each other like that and it never went away.

The six of us sat in a circle between the spruces and started to discuss.

"What's the plan?" asked Otley.

"We're making it now, dumbass," Merla replied.

"Aren't six of us a bit many?" I said. "Wait, is that even a correct sentence?"

Shaking her head, Laura replied: "We understand what your saying, so who cares for grammar?" She glared at Otley, cutting off his presumable "I do". "And no, not in my opinion. We can't exactly kick someone out now, and we should manage. What I'm more worried about – and you definitely should be – is a proper disguise for you, Alyssa, and probably for you too Flynn. We can't have anyone recognising you guys. That would be rather disastrous. We have a moon to figure it all out; more than enough time. Flynn?"

He nodded. "Okay, well, we were thinking to leave an hour before sunset and meet up at the far side of the bamboo forest. Then we'll go out over the fields and through the tunnel one by one–"

"What about the guards?" I asked.

"Bribe them," the Otter offered.

"That's a point," Laura said. "We hadn't thought of that yet."

A totally random question arose in me. "Is your animal actually the Otter?"

"Mine?" Laura asked.

"No his," I said, indicating at Otley.

"I'm a blob fish," he said, deadly serious.

I burst into laughter. "A blob fish? Is that even an animal?"

"Of course it is," he said, slightly hurt.

The others glanced at each other, Fly trying not to grin. Nobody said anything. It was a bit awkward.