Chapter Six

"We are completely fine, Samantha. Hold on."

With his left hand, Colin pried my fingers off his flesh and put my hand into his. He squeezed once, and with that one motion, I knew he was a sweetheart. Maybe he wasn't as arrogant as he appeared. I sucked in a sharp breath as the plane became fully aloft and streaks of water dashed along the windows.

"Keep breathing. Keep breathing. We're in the air now, the thrusters are doing their job. The engines are powerful, everything sounds normal. In a couple of minutes, we're going to be over the beach."

I gripped his hand tighter and tighter, until my fingers hurt. We sliced through a cloud, and my ears popped. Colin reassuringly stroked the back of my hand with his thumb. His hand was wide and swallowed mine. He didn't return my clench but allowed me to squeeze as hard as I wanted. The plane tilted to the left, and my throat closed with panic.

"Oh God," I whimpered. "Are we going down?"

"No, no, don't look outside. We're fine. This is a typical maneuver. The planes to London always steer left, then right, on their way out of the city."

"Sorry my hand is sweaty," I whispered. God, I was an embarrassment. Just like my ex-husband said.

"Ah. No apologies. Your hand is perfect, pumpkin."

I allowed myself a little smile as an ember of warmth burned inside me amidst all the panic. He said the word in an endearing, tender way.

Pumpkin.

Colin continued to describe exactly what the plane was doing as we climbed in altitude. My heart was pumping, but I'd regulated my breathing somewhat.

"We're over South Beach now. Imagine all the girls wearing your dresses, and all the guys admiring those girls."

That made me laugh.

"You're doing great." He paused. "Hey, why aren't you wearing one of your dresses? Do designers do that? Wear their own clothes? Is it like me, a developer, staying in a hotel I built?"

I knew he was trying to distract me, and I was grateful. "I don't usually wear colors. I stick to black, white, and gray," I mumbled.

"Really? I'll bet you'd look gorgeous in vibrant colors, especially with that honey-colored hair of yours."

That was what most people first noticed about me. My hair. Even at forty-five, it still was long and thick. My assistant June said I had the hair of a seventeen-year-old surfer girl, with perfect beachy waves way past my shoulders.

"I haven't worn color in years." I trembled and rolled my shoulders in an attempt to stop, like a dog shaking off water.

"It seems like you haven't done a lot of things in years. We might have to change that."

I wasn't sure what to make of that remark. I watched him stare as I bit my lip and was considering how to respond when the flight attendant made an announcement.

"Folks, we've hit ten thousand feet. Feel free to use your approved electronic devices..."

I eased up on Colin's hand, suddenly self-conscious of my behavior. I didn't need him, not now. Or did I? I heaved in a breath. "I can manage from here, but thank you. Truly. I'm sorry to be a bother."

"Are you sure? Feel free to hold my hand at any time if you're scared. And hey. Remember. No apologies."

I swallowed. Takeoff was always the worst part of a flight for me, although I needed to remain vigilant to help keep the plane aloft with my thoughts. And I wanted to prove to this man that I was semi-sane. We were going to sit next to each other for eight hours, after all. The plane bounced, which made me jump and whimper.

"You sure you don't need my hand?" Colin's smile was kind.

Trying to recover from that obvious display of fear, I shook my head. "I didn't hurt you with my nails?"

"Not at all." What a gracious man.

At that point, the flight attendant appeared at our row. "Who wants champagne?"

I hesitated, wondering if more alcohol was a good idea. Probably not, especially with the medicine. Then again, we'd made it through takeoff without incident, and it did seem to be loosening my uptight self into having a somewhat normal conversation with the delectable and sweet Colin.

"We'd like a bottle of Dom," Colin replied, taking the words out of my mouth.

***

This chapter is dedicated to @honeywhiskeybabe ! She recognized the good within the deliciously bad Colin King... #teamcolin

 #teamcolin