Chapter 23: Retrace III

Sorry for late update. Triple update for you guys!~

Kris doesn't quite remember how it all started, where it all started, why it all came to this. But it doesn't matter because just thinking about that one person bounces him back to his goal, even when he has to be cruel, it's always that one person. He always thought love, being able to feel love, being indifferent to one person, is man's greatest abnormality. No one should subject himself under someone's spell, an individual is an individual. But here he is, desperate for attention one person will never give him. It's all because of him. This is all started because of Yixing. Because Yixing just charms him differently than any man could, like a drug, a dangerous poison to a cold man's heart.

"So the rumors are true,"

Kris gazes away from the painting hung on Amanda Van der Gilt's wall, framed with gold dusts and polished to emit beauty. Amanda is wearing a red sequined dress with her hair tied up at the back of her head.

"You emit such aura," Amanda continues, her smirk not leaving her face as she walks. "Sexy. Powerful. Brilliant."

"I wasn't aware there were positive rumors about me," Kris says as he bends down to plant a kiss on Amanda's elegant and nicely polished hand.

"Don't flatter," Amanda retrieves her hand back and walks behind her desk. "We're not here today to discuss about that. Please, have a seat."

Kris slowly sits on the couch not too close and not too far from Amanda's desk, crossing his legs and resting his hands on top of his knees. "I suppose,"

"You're a powerful man, Kris. One of the two I've seen this decade. But you're holding back. No, you limit yourself." Amanda tsk's while shaking her head softly. "That's not good, Kris. Not good."

"I like to keep myself safe first. Wouldn't you hate me, if I was in TIME magazine before you?"

Amanda's lips curve into a smile, beautiful, yet dangerous at the same time. "This is why I like you. I'd like to propose a partnership," She announces while leaning to her chair. "Now, now, not to fear. The conditions are completely fair. Mark my word. Even put a bullet on my head."

"Why would I put a bullet on your head?"

"Because you like to keep yourself safe first," Amanda replies simply. "I've sent the contract to your secretary."

"You've sent the contract to my secretary who's on the other side of London right now and not to me,"

"Of course." Amanda leans to the edge of the table, her arm resting on the wood.

Kris chuckles. "Very well then. I'll think about it."

--

Kris enters his flat, feeding the silence with the tap of his feet, tap tap tap, like the sound of rain drops on concrete. He sighs and places his coat on the hanger. He immediately walks to his fridge for a glass of wine, something to unwind himself, something to pull him out of his current addiction, even just for a while. It's all so boring. Going to work, signing papers, signing papers. So boring.

Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring.

He slams his glass on the table, hissing softly on taste, as he tries to calm himself. He knows there's something wrong with him. Fun. He needs fun. But there's no fun. There's no fun in anything. They're all so boring.

"I'd like to propose a partnership,"

An image of Amanda lingers in his head. A devil partnering up with a devil. It's a good deal. It's fun. He can have something to play with. Something to hold on his own. Something on his side. Something so unpredictable. This is business and reputation. Partnership—a give and take responsibility.