XII.

Just Gideon and Steve drove to DC. Gideon sped well above the posted speed limit as the clock ticked down. They had just mere hours before the helicarriers were released, and Captain America needed his suit stowed away at the Smithsonian.

The entire cab was silent, and it drove Gideon insane.

"Steve, please say something."

"What do you want me to say," he returned, the frown still etched into his features, seemingly permeant.

"I don't know! Yell at me or something! I can't stand you being mad at me."

"Gideon, I'm not mad," he admitted. "I'm disappointed."

She felt like she was six years-old again and under the upset gazes of her parents. Her eyes began to sting as tears developed, but she refused to let them show.

"I get why you didn't tell me. I just wish that I knew sooner. I could have helped you."

"I didn't know how to explain it" she admitted.

They didn't speak much more for the remainder of the drive. The silence felt comforting, but Gideon was still nervous. With the clock ticking down, they both were racing to think of ways to stop the helicarriers from taking off along with Bucky. At least now, she had Steve's help, and for that she was grateful.

Pulling into a parking garage next to the museum, they trekked to the entrance, and she turned them both invisible. Sneaking inside well after closing hours, they went to the WWII exhibit, and Steve kept a hidden watch as Gideon slipped through the glass casing and dismantled Steve's uniform from the mannequin.

Once they had it, they raced off once more. Gideon couldn't stop counting down the seconds in her head.

Her and Steve arrived back to the spot where
Agent Hill took them. Everyone was already suited up and ready to go. They set off into the woods that covered the building, and as they neared, the trees became thinner. SHIELD headquarters were in sight. 

Maria explained the entire plan on the way.

First, they had to buy more time before the Helicarriers would launch. After, Gideon, Sam, and Steve were to split up and try to replace the chips in all three as Natasha and Fury distracted Alexander Pierce.

It all seemed impossible. Gideon could only hope that luck was on their side.

Nat split off from them early on. Disguised as a member of the World Security Council, she snuck off through the front doors, and the remaining members went to the Project Insight headquarters.

Gideon took out any and all guards in their wake; they never saw her coming. Upon arriving at the locked door, they were stuck for it was retinal scan locked. All of them knew, without a doubt, that Gideon's, Steve's, Maria's, and Fury's prints would be deleted upon knowing that they were working against him. Probably even before that.

"I can get us in there. Just give me a minute, and I'll make sure the coast is clear," Gideon said.

"No need," Fury shook his head with half a smirk. He pulled a SHIELD issued transmission jammer and activated it without a second thought. "Someone's coming out soon. Get ready."

Everyone then lined up. Sam and Maria took to Steve's sides as Gideon stood invisible besides him with her gun held outward to the door.

Within seconds, the door was yanked open, and surprise overpower the man's features.

"Excuse us," Captain America smiled politely.

He simply held up his hands in surrender as everyone moved inside. Gideon was the first to reach the series of computers. Using the tip of her gun, she directed the two men up and out, her barrel never leaving them until they were locked behind the steel door.