#29 - Jenna

"Emma Kay!" I cringed at the harsh words ringing through Jenna's camper. She only said my middle name when she was angry. It was three months into our relationship, and I was used to it by then. 

"Yeah?" I called back, my voice squeaking on the last note, giving away a bit of my fear. I heard a crash resonate throughout the camper as she dumped her things onto the floor. I heard a sound from her parents' bedroom, but thought nothing of it, as they were out that day.

"Emma! What the fuck were you thinking?" Jenna yelled. "You told Macy where it came from? You're so fucking stupid sometimes!" I winced again, letting the words sink into my skin. There was a time when I would try and convince myself that she didn't mean any of it, that it was all the heat of the moment, but now, I didn't even try anymore. She was right.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I just needed to tell someone." "Oh, you needed to tell  someone?! Our entire relationship is built on us being in our own. fucking. world. We lock ourselves in. Remember?! Don't you fucking remember? We lock ourselves in because no one else matters as much as we do! I love you, Emma! Don't you love me?!" 

"Of course I love you!" I cried. "Why on Earth would you think I didn't?" "If you really loved me," Jenna stepped forward so we were almost face-to-face, "You wouldn't have told Macy that I gave you that bruise." 

I sighed, feeling the honesty of her words hit me hard. "I'm sorry, Jenna." "You fucking will be," she growled, and I could feel all of the anger that she had held inside herself up until that point burning for a release.

I backed up until my back hit the couch. She advanced towards me, fists clenched and ready. Her eyes burned, and the beautiful ocean eyes I was accustomed to became darker, more menacing. More evil.

I braced myself, knowing I wouldn't fight back, I couldn't fight back, for the first hit. I felt it before I had finished preparing myself and it felt like all breath left my body as she punched me in the gut, making my stomach flap in on itself. 

Jenna grimaced at the flabby skin and growled, "So fat." A rush of self-consciousness flooded my face and I tried to suck my stomach in. She hit me again, her fist grazing my left cheek. "Don't even try," she laughed, tears of frustration running down her face. "You can suck in all you want. You'll still be a fucking cow, Emma Kay." I choked back tears at this. Nearly three months into the relationship, I should be used to this, but I wasn't. Seeing someone I loved so much, and being afraid was tearing me apart. 

"Please stop," I whimpered. "I'm sorry." This seemed to only anger Jenna, and she swung back with the force of something surreal, and punched me. I immediately felt the pain in my face.

"Stop!"

A meek but demanding voice yelled from the doorway of Jenna's parents' bedroom. I looked up to see Audrey, her hair frizzy and unkempt, with tears staining her face and bruises covering her face and arms, which she didn't have makeup on for once. 

"Close the fucking door!" Jack shouted from inside, beer in hand. Audrey gently closed the door, so as not to disturb him. 

"Mom," Jenna said through clenched teeth. "This isn't any of your business. Just go back to Dad." She shook her head slowly and stepped towards her daughter. She was cautious and afraid, like me, but unlike me, she had a sort of fire in her eyes, a fearless determination. 

"No, Jenna, that's where you're wrong," Audrey stated, stepping closer. "This is my business. You are my daughter and that is your girlfriend. Now, I love you, but you need to take a walk." Jenna opened her mouth to argue, but her mother cut her off, "No. Now. Take. A. Walk." Jenna glared at her for a second before stalking out of the camper, slamming the door so hard that it rattled the entire RV. 

As soon as Jenna was gone,  I collapsed on the couch, nursing the wounds on my face. Audrey sat down beside me, and a silent understanding passed between us. 

"Jack your poison?" I asked. She nodded. Most people would have offered to patch me up, to spread bruise cream like it was the cure all to human life on my face, but Audrey didn't.

She understood.

"Good luck," Audrey told me sincerely. I nodded to her, a silent understanding and kinsmanship found in her.

"You as well."