Chapter 2

When I stopped screaming I collapsed, but caught myself on all fours. The fire obviously melted the crystals from the intense heat, leaving me in no danger. The Ice Fairy stopped launching ice crystals. A dense silence fell over what was left of the crowd, which only had about 5 students, Ethan and the witnesses. 

The audience stared at me with a questioning look. They were all confused, just as much as I was. That never happened to me before. It never happened to any Water Fairy. You can only posses one element, but of that one element, one or more speciality. 

I stood up from my fallen position. I looked around to see the reaction of the witnesses.

The witnesses expressions were hidden as the three of them huddled together. 

I started to feel nervous and weird. My thumbs started to twirl in anxiousness. I looked up from my thumbs and looked at Ethan. He seemed to copy my expression. When he noticed that I was looking at him, he gave a half smile and a small wave. 

The rest of that day wasn’t that pleasant. The witnesses tried to keep what they saw to the City Council and the Fairy Council, but that failed. Instantly, word spread like a virus throughout the city. My mother assumed that I didn’t pass my trial. In truth, I didn’t. The witnesses never gave me my wings that day either. They were more interested in the fact that I could breath fire. 

They immediately went to the Healer Center and requested protection for me. They wanted someone advanced enough inside the fire culture who could easily relate and connect to me. Until this day, the whole events still passed though my mind like an embarrassing memory that you can never remove. It replays over and over, again and again. 

After that, my label of “Special” and “Talented” changed. I was though of as a freak. 

Ethan and Adam came and talked to me once about all of town was known of the news. They didn’t bother to talk about me and my strange talents. We hung out as if nothing happened. However, there was a thickness in the air that I believe will never change as long as I live. 

Martha came over later on. I have to say, the bright blue winds made her chocolate skin seem darker. She seemed to glow with excitement as she flashed around her wings and showed all the neat tricks she could do. I did my best acting to seem like I was excited as she was, but it’s hard to see her show off her wings. It’s like giving one child an awesome toy that they both wanted, and telling the children that it’s fair. In truth, you know one child is going to be beaten up, or have a fit.

I was pretty much put on lockdown. I wasn’t allowed to leave the house. Like I wanted. I didn’t want to hear the noise and snickers that went on as I passed other people. I was better off staying indoors practicing my water techniques. I did try my new fire techniques, but they never worked after that.

~~~

I woke up to the sound of my radio. I forced my eyes open to see the light of the sun flood the room. It was blinding.

I rapped my head inside the covers of the blankets. I didn’t want to leave my bed when it felt this cozy! Slowly, I admitted defeat as the crackle sound of the radio gnawed at my ears.

I jumped out of my bed in one swift motion. I went to my table and turned off my radio alarm. I looked at the mirror and saw my tired reflection. I sat down and fixed my hair.

My hair is long and has several colours mixed in. I have blue, purple, lime green, pink, orange and bleach-blond. I have straggly pieced in the front from the time I once had bangs. Big mistake. I let them grow out and promised myself that I’d never make that same mistake again.