Chapter Seven

"Well, what did I do to deserve this call?"

"Hey, mom." De' arra says before sighing. "I-I need your help." Trying to hide the sadness and fear in her voice. She knew Keith wouldn't hurt the kids, but he has plenty of enemies who will.

"Are you okay?" She had never heard her mother sound so concerned before. It was like she actually cared.

"It's Keith and the kids." She finally said.

"Keith? Kids? What?!" Janet asked shocked.

De' arra hasn't spoken to her family in two years. There was a lot of things that they needed to fill each other in on.

"Well, I guess I have a lot to tell you." She says while lightly laughing.

"Don't say anything else!" Janet frantically says as she grabs her keys and purse.

"Why?" De' arra asked confused. Janet quickly shushed her and told her to hold on.

"Daniel, baby, I'll be right back!" She shouted before quickly shutting the front door and getting in her car. "Where are you?"

"What's going on?" De' arra asked, now worried.

"We can't say this over the phone."

***

"What's going on? Why couldn't we talk over the phone?" De' arra stood up and asked as soon as she saw her mother walk in.

Janet shushed her again and motioned for her to follow her outside. De' arra followed her and they stood to the side of the building.

She noticed how clean and healthy Janet looked. She was happy to see that Janet stayed clean.

"Okay, tell me what happened because last I heard from you, you were with Chris." She says with her hands on her hips. De' arra smiled before explaining to her mother everything that's happened over the past two years. "Wow. So I'm a grandmother now?"

"Yes." De' arra said before taking out her phone to show her mother a picture of Ke' arra. Janet smiled as she looked at how beautiful her granddaughter was.

"She's beautiful!" Janet said before handing her back the phone.

"Thank you!" She says while putting her phone away. "So what was so important that you couldn't tell me over the phone?"

Janet sighs. "I know that you know I stripped for Keith's friends in exchange for drugs."

De' arra always felt like more than that happened between them but she just nodded her head in agreement.

"Okay?" She edged her to continue talking and get to the point.

"Apparently, Keith used to work with your father and ended up telling him about that and that he had something going on with you. That's how your father ended up finding me after all this time had past. He wanted to kill Keith, but Keith was too valuable. He brought in a lot of money." She said before swallowing the lump in her throat. "Since I didn't use anymore, I gave your father an ultimatum. If he wanted to be with me he couldn't sell anymore. So, he decided to let Keith takeover but only under one condition; that he leaves you alone and Keith agreed."