Part Three

Girl Wants Boy- Part Three

Olivia lay on her bed, throwing a rubber ball up and catch it it before it hit her face. 

It had been a couple of hours since Dex had 'broken up' with her and she was still thinking of him. She had called him and texted him, but he wasn't replying to any of them. Whether he was ignoring her or whether he just didn't have his phone was nothing Olivia wanted to think about.

She was asking herself a lot of questions, but the thing that kept nagging at her were Dex's eyes. She wanted to know why there was something else there.

But first she had to figure out what it was. She thought back to all the times she had seen the mystery emotion in his eyes.

Every time he was 'Dexter'.

Those were the only times when it was prominent, other than the time...

That first day! That day when she had joked about falling in love and he had said that he would never do it.

Olivia now realized that he just didn't want to fall in love. As cliche' as it sounded, it wasn't her, it was him.

But why?

Why didn't he want to fall in love?

She thought of all those novels she had read where the boy didn't want to fall in love. They usually satisfied their needs with countless girls that they always threw out the next morning, only to have one girl come and steal his heart. 

And just then, Olivia realized Dex's problem.

"Who was she?" Olivia asked Dex as he came home from work. She had waited for three hours for him to come home, using the spare key he'd given her to get in. She didn't care that she probably seemed like a stalker girlfriend; she just wanted her boyfriend back.

Dex jumped a little, just realizing that she was there. "How..." he wondered but stopped. "Liv, please," he begged.

"No," she said with finality. "Now sit down and answer my question."

He sighed, but did as she told and saw on the couch across from her. He didn't look up at her though.

"Who was she?"" Olivia asked again.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Who broke your heart, or hurt you or whatever?" Olivia said, clearing it up for him.

"I don't-"

"Dex," she said, cutting him off and giving him a knowing look. She wasn't going to accept crap. "You know exactly what I'm talking about."

He looked at her, now. He stared at her until, finally, he cracked.

"When I was in high school, there was this girl, and we had been together since the summer before freshman year. And I really liked her, and I thought she liked me. But then at the end of sophomore year, I caught her with one of the teachers, and she didn't even try to apologize," Dex said, then took a shaky breath.

"Oh, thats-"

"That's not all," Dex said in a pained voice, interrupting her. Olivia almost wanted him to stop, the way he sounded so broken, but she knew he had to get it out.

"All through junior year, I didn't date. I just, hooked up with girls. But then there was this new girl who came at the end of the school year. And but the time senior year started, we were together. Throughout the whole school year, we were great. But then, with only two more weeks until the end of high school, I caught her in a closet with my best friend." He stopped. "And they were openly together for the rest of the school year. Worst two weeks of my life."

Dex was amazing. She could never, ever imagine going through all that and still being able to get up in the morning. 

Olivia stood from her spot on the couch and walked over to Dex, standing above him. She held out her hand. "Dex, let's go somewhere, and we can take your mind off of things."

"This doesn't change things, Liv," he said and stood up.

"Why?" She asked. 

"You should understand why, after I just told you all of that," he said. 

Olivia nodded slowly. Even though she didn't want to admit it, he was right. She probably would've done the exact same thing.

"Okay, you need your time," she said to him and started walking to the door. "But, I want you to think. Those girls who did that to you, they were horrible people and they didn't deserve you. I don't even deserve someone as great as you. But I really want you to ask yourself if I'm anything like those girls. Because I'm pretty sure that in the back of your mind, you knew what these girls were capable of. So just-" she stopped. "Just, take your time, and think about it."

She walked out of the door, closing it behind her and began the commute back home. Surprisingly, she wasn't to heartbroken about it. Maybe they would get back together soon. Maybe this pause would be good for them. Maybe-

"Olivia wait!"

Olivia turned around and saw Dex running towards her. When he caught up with her, he put his hands on her shoulders.

"You're right," he said.

"Dex," Olivia said. "Don't you want to think about it?" It wasn't like she didn't want him, but, she thought he would've needed at least a little more time.

"No, I just realized something," he said, smiling as if he found the cure to cancer. "This" he pointed at the both of them. "is not the kind of thing you think about. This is something that you just let happen. Thinking about it will just mess it all up."

"But-"

"And I almost messed it up," he said, no longer smiling. "When you walked out, I, I-" he stopped. "I can't lose three girls in the course of five years. I wouldn't be able to do it."

Olivia stared at him. She was speechless. She really did not know what to say. But she didn't have to, because Dex said it for her.

"Olivia, I love you."

********************************

And the song was..... GIVE YOUR HEART A BREAK BY DEMI LOVATO!!!

Yes. How many of you guessed it? A lot of people said The One That Got Away and I could see how you would say that. A lot of people also said that they knew it but they didn't want to say it. I tried to incorporate every single line of that song into this story. So yeah. See if you can find it.

Did you like it? I think it was a pretty good ending. It was actually going to end way differently then this, but then I hated the one I wrote so I changed it. 

If you've never heard Give Your Heart a Break, you haven't lived. I'm serious. So I'm gonna put it on the side. Yeah. 

So... Comment! Vote! Fanimos!