Chapter One

It was a breezy evening as I sat on a stone bench outside Sunshine Rehab Centre with my brother beside me.

    “Riella, it’s nearly 5 o’clock,” Derek noted as we stared at the lake and those odd swan boats that people were riding on it on.

     I sighed.

    “Why do you have to be such a spoil sport?” I grumbled as I turned to look at him, he shrugged at me, a small smile playing on his lips, his black hair ruffling in the breeze.

     “Come on,” he said getting up and stretching.

     “Are you aware of how boring therapy is?” I grumbled as I remained seated.

     “It’s a necessity here Riella,” he said looking down at me. “I’m pretty sure it sucks. But, let me put it this way kiddo, the more you go to these sessions without making trouble and skipping out on them,” he looked at me pointedly at this and continued, “ the sooner you’ll get out of this place and get back home.”

    “Well that’s a tough choice,” I said as I rose from the bench. “Which mental institution do I prefer the one I call home or this one?”

    “When did you start becoming such a pessimist?” he joked.

    “A while before I tried to kill myself the first time,” I replied. All humour from Derek’s face drained. “Okay. I didn’t mean to kill the mood…”

    Derek obviously didn’t know what to say.

    “I was just joking around Derek,” I said. People always got this way whenever I mentioned what I attempted to do. I did not see why they acted this way, we all knew what happened.

    “Don’t joke about it Riella,” there was no trace of the humour in his voice from before. I rolled my eyes.

    “Okay. Well then Derek, I ‘ll see you later.” He looked at me for a moment as if contemplating something, and then, as if he had come to a decision, his face returned back to normal and he smiled at me.

    “Am I gonna get a hug?” he asked opening his arms. I hesitated for a second, but then… this was my brother, Derek, my best friend… my only friend. And with that, I stepped into his embrace and he pulled me into a rib crushing bear hug.

    “Are you trying to kill me?” I gasped. He laughed as he let go of me.

    “Want me to walk you out?” I suggested in an attempt to delay my therapy session. Derek narrowed his eyes at me.

    “Bye Riella,” he said with a tone of finality in his voice. He ruffled my hair lightly, turned away from me and headed towards the reception which guarded the only exit from this place.

    “Bye,” I muttered to his back as I fixed my hair. I stared at his retreating figure for a few moments, longing to be able to leave at my wish the way he could.

     Sighing, I turned the opposite direction and made my way to the psychiatric building which housed all the therapists’ offices.

***

    As I pushed the glass door of the building open, I was greeted with a blast of cold air. The door swung shut behind me as I stepped in and looked around.

    The smiley receptionist was sitting behind the counter reading a magazine. I walked up to her and cleared my throat; she looked up startled and set her magazine down.

    “Good evening Zeriella,” the bubbly blonde greeted me brightly. “Doctor Heath is ready and waiting for you,” she informed me, gesturing towards the spiral staircase on the right side of the room.