(1)

Gemma's POV

My father was so terrified for my future that he sent me across the fucking world to the wonderful state of California to live near my mother. He used the excuse that he wanted us to "reconnect" which was bullshit. I knew that the real reason he was shipping me off was because he couldn't deal with my shit anymore. The trouble I was getting myself into was just too much.

So here I am.

My fingers run over the spines of the books on my dusty bookshelf. Which world do I want to escape to now?

My fingers stop on Stephenie Meyer's', Twilight. I could use a silly, over hyped yet entertaining book about a vampire and a human right now. I grab the book and kick off my shoes before laying down on my bed.

What it is that makes me reread this completely unrealistic bullshit excuse for a book, I can't tell. This isn't the first time I've found myself skimming through the pages though. It's fucked up really. Bella knows that Edward is a hunter, a predator. She should stay away from him. He could literally suck the life out of her at any moment but she can't leave him or his family alone. Then again, Edward did a pretty shitty job of staying away from her.

"Shit, yes baby." I hear a girl's voice scream through the paper thin wall.

"Shut the fuck up" I yell back.

One more year. I tell myself. One more year of my bullshit classes. One more year of parties filled with people who don't give a damn about anyone or anything except for the temporary high they get from the alcohol and sex with a random stranger.

It's just one more fucking year until I get my degree and I can move back to Melbourne where I belong.

***

The first day of the new semester is always the funniest for those students who have been here for a while.

It's the best watching all the new students running around like headless chickens desperate to find their footing in a new environment.

It's probably the same first day routine at every university around the globe. The University of California in Los Angeles is just where I'm oh-so-lucky to attend. It's not so bad though to be completely honest. My classes are really easy and my professors don't really care about whatever shit I do.

Despite my lack of effort, I'm pretty decent academically, meaning I'm not a complete idiot.

I'm sure that my professors think that I could achieve much better results if I actually "applied" myself but I really don't have the energy to be obsessed over my grades or plans for the future or anything else school related that people could obsess over. My plan is to just get through my course.

Cafe 1919 is right across from Building C which is where the dorms are located, making it the perfect place to sit on the first day of school.

It's amusing watching all the parents in tears as they enter the building with their son or daughter loaded with luggage, eager to get their college experience started.

Perhaps the reason I find it so entertaining is because my own father couldn't wait to get rid of me while other parents act as if the world is ending because their child, who, keep in mind, is now an official adult is off to college.

A woman wearing a navy blue pencil skirt with a matching blazer is across from me with her daughter. Both have tears running down their faces causing their mascara to run while the girl's father stands back wondering when the mother is going to let go of the daughter. He keeps checking his watch impatiently.

"Hey babe." Kiera sits down across from me at the wooden picnic table and pulls out a tube of lip gloss from her bag. "You're going to be there tonight, right?" She asks as she smears the gloss all over her lips.

It takes a moment for my mind to catch up as I was preoccupied with watching the mother-daughter-father trio to realise that Kiera was asking me about the party.

"I live there, don't I?" I ask, rolling my eyes.

For Kiera to ask me if I'm going to be there is doubly stupid. Not only because the party is being hosted at the sorority house that my mother so graciously pays for me to live in. Since I can't stand to live in a house with a woman who left my family only to create a new perfect one in the United States. Besides it's a party! Why wouldn't I be there?

"So what's the plan for tonight?" Kiera asks putting her lip gloss tube back in her bag.

'"I don't know. We're meeting Harley in his room." I shrug and take my phone out of the pocket of my jacket to check the time.

Harley's dorm room isn't that far from the 1919 Cafe. 10 minutes at least. No point driving. Besides my car is parked in the car park closest to the dorms anyway. Along the way, Kiera manages to find a way to bug me with her rambling about the party tonight. It almost makes me regret telling her I'd drive her and Harley back to my house for the party. I don't understand why there's so much excitement when the parties are the same every single damn weekend.

It's the same group of people. The same loud music blasting through the speakers, making the floors vibrate. The same amount of alcohol and sex. The same terrible hangovers the next day.

We arrive at Harley's room which is located on the other side of Building C, away from the cafe.

"Knock first. Remember how pissed he got last time you entered without knocking?" Kiera reminds me. Like I could forget. It was during last semester and I had walked into Harley's dorm room without knocking and found him with a magazine, a basically naked female on the front cover and his right hand making him feel good.

Harley had never been more mortified. Not because I had caught him doing his thing but because he was so embarrassed that I had seen what he was packing. To this day, I still tease him about it.

I knock on the door and wait for a response. "Come in!" Harley calls from the otherside of the door.