The First Day

I scramble to get out of bed, realising my alarm didn't go off and I'm about to miss the bus on my first day of high school. Great job, Alexa! I grab the dress I laid out on my dresser, grab my boots and tie them as quickly as i can, pick my bag up, swinging it hurriedly over my shoulder. Feet pounding down stairs, I grab the door knob, furiously pulling the door open and throwing myself outside, I run all the way to the bus station and, thank god, make it in time.

I watch as all the other kids appear to be in cliques already, I spy an empty seat close to the back of the bus and sit there, I guess I'm gunna be the loner of the year. Great. The journey takes 30 minutes, but it feels like I've been trapped on this bus for an eternity, I can't wait for the day to be over. I feel nervous, anxious and alone as the bus pulls up outside the school building.

I wait until everyone else has piled out of the bus before standing myself and making my way to the front of the bus, climbing down the steps and finally exiting the doors to stare at the giant building where I will be spending the next 4 years of my life. It's so daunting when you put it that way.

I walk, slowly, up to the front of the school, I stand for a few minutes in awe at the level of my fear. I must look like a total idiot, staring at a perfectly normal building, but I cant help it. I walk up the steps lightly, then I suddenly stop and turn around, somethings wrong, someone's following me, watching me... no! it's all in your head Alexa. You need to stop being so paranoid! Just grab the door handle and open the door; like a normal person.

I inhale deeply, walking at a steady, slow pace, I'm really not excited for this, school really sucks, especially when nobody likes you. The hallway is cramped with students, the lights are mostly broken and the ones that appear to be intact, are simply not on, making the halls extremely dark. It's a single straight line, with doors on either side; none are labelled, only numbers. Perfect. I'll have to guess which class I have to be in, I'll probably be late, to every single class. For the rest of the day. And week. And probably year!

I'm wandering around for literally half an hour before I see a classroom with kids my ageish in. I sneak up to the door, the teachers taking the register, I stand for a moment. Just when I go to turn around and keep looking, I hear her call my name. "Alexa Fayre?" My face goes red as she glances around the room, she repeats my name and I slither in the door way, sheepishly.

"Here" I say as I walk in. I watch her eyes look me up and down, measuring me up? I've already made a bad impression, great. She waves to an empty chair in the centre of the room, it's close to the side with a window, so it could be worse. I walk quickly to my seat, to get this embarrassment over with. But of course, it being me, I trip on a desk leg and fall flat on my face, enticing the whole class to burst into laughter. I get up quickly and carefully hurry to my seat. Can this day get any worse?