Chapter Sixteen - How to Write a Great Opening Lines

As a writer, and a reader, I love opening lines. I'm always curious as to how myself and other authors choose to start their books — chapter one, first paragraph, opening sentence. There can only be one opening line, and for that I'm fascinated by them.

In this chapter, I'll go over what makes a good opening line, and show you some examples of my favourite opening lines, and why they work for me.

Why opening lines are so important

Have you ever read the opening line of a book and been completely captivated? Just from that one line, you're hooked, you're engaged, it draws you in and can't wait to read on?

Or, have you ever read the opening line and immediately knew the book wasn't for you?

In either case, opening lines are really important. They can either draw a reader in or turn them off completely.

The reason why having a captivating opening line is so important is because people are really quick to pass judgment, and I don't blame them. Their time is valuable. 

Let's face it, there are a million things competing for people's attention and their time is limited. They may have only a few hours per day to dive into something of interest, and if it is one of our books, then we need to hook our audience immediately and keep them engaged.  

Our book has to be more captivating than TV or movies, more engaging then video games, deliver more gratification than social media and YouTube, be better than going outside and doing something, more interesting than hanging out with a friend, better than relaxing, and better than any other book they could be reading.

Attention is the asset we're all vying for.  

To do this, we need to understand broadly what captures people's attention. While I'm not an expert, I thought about what elements go into making great opening lines.

1. Dramatic or shocking

A dramatic or shocking opener is something a reader may not typically expect. It's a juxtaposition if you will. It's like getting hit in the face with a cold bucket of water. It wakes you up and engages you.

Here are some examples of dramatic or shocking openers that  I like.

"Not every 13-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty."

— 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke.

"The telephone was ringing wildly, but without result, since there was no-one in the room but the corpse."

— War in Heaven by Charles Williams.

2. Philosophical

Philosophical opening lines make you think about something in a new way and challenge your current beliefs. They can be profound and not fully understood, and for that it creates a sense of mystery and wonder.

Here are some examples of philosophical openers.

"Nothing ever begins."

— Weaveworld by Clive Barker.

"Right here and now, as an old friend used to say, we are in the fluid present, where clear-sightedness never guarantees perfect vision."

— The Black House, by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

3. Poetic

As with most writing, poetic or pleasing sounding prose can often engage a reader. You want your words to flow effortlessly so that people can ease into the story. This could mean using descriptive language, a metaphor, alliteration, or playing with sounds of the words.