Chapter 22

I wake up with an ache in my neck and am almost disappointed when the sun isn't beating on me like it does at the apartment. I couldn't sleep more than a half hour all night. Every time I would start to get into a deep sleep I would think I heard something and worry that it was Ian. I know he is in jail but I have an anxious feeling that he will find me.

I also am constantly checking on Liam. He still hasn’t woken up and it's starting to worry me. It's 11 now, meaning I have been in the hospital for over 14 hours. I called into Connor's and told them what happened, Connor's dad was completely understanding and gave me however long I need off. 

I look over to Liam for the thousandth time and bring his hand up to my cheek, even when he's sleeping he still completely comforts me. "Please wake up Liam." I whisper as I kiss his hand. 

Another fifteen minutes go by and I'm back in my recliner reading some gossip magazine where all the articles are lies, I laugh as I read some of them. I don't understand how they even come up with these stories, but I can't seem to stop reading them either. 

I look up at Liam again but this time I see his eyes start to open. I get off the recliner as quickly as I can and take his hand once again. He opens his eyes completely and flashes a weak smile. "Nice to see you finally wake up." I tease as he squeezes my hand slightly.

"I feel horrible, like I've been hit by a truck or something." He takes a deep breath and starts to cough.

"Do you remember what happened?" I ask, almost hoping he doesn't so I don't have to explain it all to him. 

"The last thing I can remember is driving home from work and then a blurry memory of a man calling out to me. But I'm not sure that actually happened."

"Well, while you were driving the engine in your car blew up and that caused your car to set on fire and tumble off the freeway. And I don't know how to tell you this, but Ian is the one that did that to your car. He was trying to hurt you that way he could get to me."

Liam's face goes from calm to tense in seconds and I am regretting telling him. "Are you okay? Did he do that to your face? Where is he now?" Liam's questions come flooding out of his mouth and I try to ease him by putting my finger over his lips to silence him. 

"I'm fine. Ian did attack me in the apartment but the police showed up before he could do anything too horrible. He is in jail now so we don't have to worry about him until court. All you need to focus on is getting better, okay?" 

 He nods and looks down to his bandaged body. "So, how bad is it under all this?"

"I haven't seen it yet but the doctor said you have second degree burns. You're actually extremely lucky, if someone didn't pull you out of the car then you could have died." I shudder at the thought of him being trapped in the car, unconscious and being burned. 

"I'm going to call your mom, I told her I would let her know when you woke up." I smile at him as I take out my phone to call her. She doesn't answer so I hang up and send her a text message, she must be busy at work. 

"So, are you in any pain? The doctor said they have you on really strong pain killers so you shouldn't be." I explain as I caress his cheek. 

"No I'm fine, just feel a little stiff." He tries to put on a smile but I can tell he is in some sort of pain. 

"Are you hungry? A nurse came in a little while with food but you were still sleeping so she didn't leave it, I can go get her though." 

"No I'm fine, just having you here with me is all I need right now." 

I laugh as lean over to kiss his lips lightly. "Laying in a hospital bed and you still manage to make me smile." 

The rest of the day goes by quickly, the nurse that has been helping Liam shows me how to change his bandages properly. I hated seeing his face in pain when we did it but I know that I need to if they're going to heal the right way.