| 16 | Mutual Understanding

I ventured down the dim-lit corridor, the door closing behind me. It felt as if I had passed through a forbidden threshold, like a point of no return. 

Evander might have considered it a good idea, but the thought of Sage's face, filled with anger, was enough to give me doubts.

   "You're going to team up with someone eventually, so you might as well meet the candidates."

   "I thought I was being teamed with you?"

   "Unfortunately not." He laughed. "I'm just in charge of the training. Don't be too disappointed, though, we'll see plenty of each other."

Even though we had barely known each other, I did feel disappointed. He was someone who didn't make me feel like a monster.

   "There's someone the boss had in mind, but I can't say I've heard of the guy."

   "Really? How is that possible?"

He shook his head. "Dunno."

   "Elaine told me that it takes years before a vampire is ready to pair with a hunter."

   "Typically, but you've got to remember that you're a special case. I'm sure Sage has a good person in mind. Just make sure to do your best, and we'll meet them in no time. I'm dying to know who it is, just like you."

   "How many vampires and hunters have been paired up?"

   "Well, there are hundreds of vampires and hunters to choose from, but only twenty have been paired."

   "And they've all been a success? None of the vampires... turned on their partner?"

Evander slowed his pace and contemplated his reply. When he turned to face me, he wore a pained, solemn expression. "Just one. Her name was Cassie. The hunter, Sebastian. They were lovers."

   "L-lovers?"

   "They snuck away after a mission. Somehow, one thing led to another -- maybe she got caught up in the moment, the lust -- and bit him. The blood drove her over the edge. She killed him, then went on to attack the town they'd saved only hours ago. Hunters were dispatched to deal with her, and she managed to kill eight of them before coming to her senses. Shot herself in the heart with Sebastian's gun."

My chest tightened. I regretted asking. It made me wonder if there was any hope for them at all, or if it was the natural outcome of a vampire and human relationship.

Blinded by the light, we came out of the tunnel through another locked door. 

I followed Evander's footsteps. My eyes adjusted and I was met with many glares. Enemy territory. Men and women dressed in black suits. Their muscles tensed. They kept their backs to me, their weapons concealed, but close, as if daring me to make a single wrong move. 

Just as I thought to turn back, Evander caught me by the shoulder.

   "Hold on, I still have to introduce you to your colleagues."

I swallowed the dry lump in my throat and imagined someone leaping through the air to drive a wooden stake through my heart.

   "As long as you're with me, you're fine."

I steadied my shaking hands; curled them into fists, and walked on. I wondered why I felt so nervous, so on edge, and yet my heart only seemed to emit a faint pulse.

We entered a room where a group of people congregated around a silver coffee machine. I took a moment to compose myself while Evander hurried forward to greet them. I leaned against the wall.