Syndicate Sweet-Heart

The day started like any other for Jonah. Wake up, get dressed, brush teeth and then off to work he went. However, 3 hours later and it suddenly soured immensely.

On his break, he decided to head to the bank to withdraw money for grocery shopping later. Thankfully, it was only down the street from his workplace so it wasn't out of his way to go to and he needed a walk after sitting at desk listening to the men at his job try to one up each other constantly.

He stepped into the bank and into line for the teller. Jonah cursed himself for not bringing his earbuds, the shrill voices of some of these people were getting on his nerves.

Though, it was only going to get worse because suddenly there was screaming instead of talking. When Jonah turned around, a group of people in black masks held guns and sacks, shouting for people to move and get down.

He wasn't the fighting type and those guns looked scary so he quickly dropped to his knees. Hell, he was about ready to serve dinner to them if it meant he got to come out of this alive.

His forehead hit the ground and he lied there in silence. He was unsure of how long he was actually supposed to stay in this position. Whoever these people were, they were at the very least efficient in what they did. A sharp kick to Jonah's ribs sent a shuddering gasp down his body.

"Turn over and lay on your back" a voice commanded. He quickly did as he was told, the looming body of a man standing over him scared the living daylights out of Jonah. "Hey boss, come here for a sec."

Another person joined the first and through the mask, he saw a noticeable change in his face. "Tell them to hurry and get the money" the second man commands. "We need to get out of here now!" He laid there, on the ground, and at a loss for words as he wracked his mind to figure out what just happened.

5 minutes later, and the bank was empty save for the hostages and workers. The next couple hours were a flurry of nonsense. Jonah was questioned multiple times, checked out, sent to the hospital and the whole shebang.

But none of that mattered.

The man... He almost looked fearful. Of Jonah? But he was a nobody, so there was no real reason to be scared of someone who worked behind a desk all day. As soon as he was cleared to go back home, he hopped onto the computer and started his search.

What was he searching for? Not even he was sure. He couldn't google "why are robbers afraid of me?" And get an answer that was gonna clear everything up, in fact it'd probably make his confusion even worse.

By the time the sun's rays were peeking through his window, Jonah had exhausted himself and the resources he had to get his answer.

Well, the legal ones anyway.

Deciding to stop for now, he called in sick to work and laid in bed to get some sleep to continue the search later on.

Awaking several hours later, Jonah immediately went back to his search. Continuing to use the surface web would lead him nowhere, and decided the best of course action was the access the dark web next.

It was something he used to actively do, but fell out the hobby when he became a productive adult of society. The nostalgia sent him back to high school, but at the same time memories from back then clouded his mind and made him miss the older days.

And her.

"Ah! Jonah snap out of it, you have a job to do" he scolded himself, steeling his nerves and restarting his search. It took a lot more effort to swim through the Dark Web then it did to get through the Surface. You had to be careful or someone with an axe would show up on your doorstep with the intent to kill. But that's what made it fun.