Prologue - About my twin brother

You know what it's like? To be ridiculed, to be the twin leg, the 'other' one?

I was the black sheep, the twin who always did everything wrong, who always spilt the drink at dinner, who seemed to always get into trouble, the one who punched Cody Wilson in grade four and spent all the emergency money on an Xbox 360 bundle while my Mum spent the day in Hobart. So you have gotta understand that I was just the typical Aussie teenage boy; causing havoc, playing footy and failing at school. 

But, when it comes to Kai, there was always something about him; he'd give mum and dad a "glance of death" at least that's what I called it, mum just said he had a lazy eye, but his vision was 20/20. The house we stayed in was real old, like colonial, from when the British were here. It'd creak at night, make all these horrid sounds; and Kai had really bad night terrors, he'd scream of things crawling through his ears like fingers, chalky, white fingers. 

Mum worked in Queenstown, it was a larger place not too far from Byholt, just over Lake Burbury, and Dad was a mechanic at the local garage; to be honest we never saw much of our parents, Byholt was so far from anyplace important we learnt to accept our boredom. In fact, Kai was berated by everyone except my parents, it was the first taste of irony my teenage brain could intercept, that my parents as much as they hated me; loved my brother, who in turn hated them.

You would go to the park with Kai, and kids would tease him, he wore black, black jeans, dyed his hair black on his thirteenth birthday, loved the rain, wore beanies, never slept... I'm not saying that his emo side had anything against him, it's just difficult in the middle of an isolated island, far away from any sort of escape. It hurt to see kids tease him, kids who looked just like me, with the ruffled brown hair and freckles, gorgeous eyes and warm smile. 

He always needed me, he hated our parents greatly, and I could only stand up to the other preteens, my parents on the other hand had different plans for me. After I finished year 8, my sorry arse was flung to the other side of the state; to Hobart, I would live with my Grandmother; Robin, a few months later Kai would murder my parents. Did I notice a downward spiral of death and self-hatred? No, to be blatantly obvious, he stayed the same way. 

I was extremely angry that my parents had decided to send me away, it was more of a self-repressed rage caused by their coldness towards me; the not-so-quiet twin they called me, not my parents though, the camera crews; the ones that came later on. This is what I wanted people to know, that I still love my brother, he still means the world to me; and some call me sick for saying this but... I don't miss my parents, I never did. 

My name is Dante, I just turned twenty; January 4th to be exact, same day as my brother's birthday. I am leaving my grandmother here in her Mount Nelson apartment, the little boy who wanted to visit the city is now returning back to the country; only this time, I'll be visiting him...