Chapter One

Spock looked down at the body shrouded in a stasis tube-no longer vibrant, sarcastic, southern-Dr. McCoy was for all intents purposes dead. Kirk hovered at his elbow, and like a true captain, his expression remained calm. Spock closed his eyes, allowing Kirk's grief to envelope them both.

"How did this happen on my watch, Spock. How? Why?"

"Captain, -Jim, there is nothing you could have done to prevent this."

Kirk looked back at him and whispered, "'For all the sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'it might have been.'"

"John Greenleaf Whittier."

"Spock, any other time your vast knowledge would amuse, but..."

"Jim, it was not my intent to amuse. I hope I have not trivialized your grief in any way."

Kirk bowed his head and balanced his arms against McCoy's bed. "I know I couldn't have prevented the accident, but I could have prevented the disruption of life on the sixth planet in the Sigma Draconis system. Luma could have helped us."

"Luma, couldn't have helped us. She had the mindset of a child."

Kirk sighed, then looked back at him. "Perhaps, you're right. What we need is a good

old-fashioned time machine to take us back to two weeks ago."

Or at the very least, another universe.

Two Weeks Ago

"Spock, you need to tell someone what's bothering you. It's no wonder you don't feel well. You're not getting any sleep, and your heart rate is all over the place."

"Doctor, far be it for me to instruct you in Vulcan physiology, however may I remind you that..."

McCoy rounded on him like a predatory animal. "No, you may not. Quit stalling, Spock, out with it."

He looked over at McCoy's wrinkled brow. "I haven't felt the same since I died."

McCoy rocked on his heels. "How long have you waited to say that?"

He cocked his head to the side, perplexed by McCoy's irritation. "Doctor, I fail to see why you are so agitated. Spock from the other universe did die. So, technically I died, or rather the DNA that makes up my body did."

"Spock, you're starting to creep me out. Stop it. I want you off duty for a couple of days."

"Doctor, I'm perfectly capable of attending to my duties."

"In a pig's eye you are."

"Doctor, what does a pig's eye have to do with anything?"

McCoy's eye's bulged. "Spock, it's an expression, just an expression."

He shrugged. "I fail to see its relevance."

McCoy rubbed his face, with one hand. "Just get some rest, Spock."

The door to sick-bay swished open, admitting Kirk. "I'm here for my physical."

"Fine, sit down. I'll be with you in a minute."

Kirk's eyes widened, then narrowed. "It looks like you're busy. I can come back later."

"Oh no you don't, Jim. Sit down, I'm almost done with the Vulcan. I'm writing him off for a couple of days."

A look of concern flashed across Kirk's face. "Is he okay?"

Spock fixed both of them with a stern look. "I am quite well, as healthy as a proverbial horse."

McCoy grinned, "See expressions are handy, Spock."

He raised an eyebrow, the corner of his mouth fighting the urge to smile. "Yes, Doctor, I find them useful when communicating with inferior beings."

"Why you green blooded ingrate, out of my office now."

"Technically, this is sick bay not your office, Doctor."

"OUT."

Spock stood up, looking back at McCoy and Kirk. "Captain, Doctor." He inclined his head in a slight bow and left.

"Smart ass," McCoy drawled. "Jim, how come he can make even a term of deference seem sarcastic?"

"It's his way," Kirk replied in a solemn tone.

"Not you too. Now take off your shirt and behave, or I may just have to check you over the

old fashioned way."

Spock lingered outside the door, listening to Kirk and McCoy bickering. He wanted to go back in the room and unburden his feelings of unease, but that would be illogical. Making his way back to his quarters, he observed his crewmates. They passed him in the hall, some laughing, some smiling, some serious, all acknowledging him with a quick nod. They see me, but they don't SEE me.

When the door to his quarters, swished shut behind him, he breathed a sigh of relief. He walked over and picked up the box Ambassador Spock had left him. A picture of the crew from a different time looked back at him. He moved his fingers along the raised designs around the frame.

Ambassador Spock, you've left me with a burden too great.