Nature's surprise!!!

I am awake with a squeal of bewilderment. 

“Oh my god…    It’s beautiful.” The roadside is covered with dunes of snow.

“Maybe these are hail stones” Niharika said.

“No, it’s snow. Awww we missed the snowfall.” Roopa slumped.

 We are only fifteen minutes away from Ranikhet. As we reach closer to our destination the snowdrift increases. When we reach Ranikhet it was a simulacrum of ice age. 

“I never expected that this place could ever look so amazing.” I was amazed.

“Thanks us. Have we had it your way, we would be sitting in our hostel room.” Niharika said

“It’s damn cold. I think it’s going to snow again.” It wasn’t the first time that Roopa saw the snow. She was originally from hills and has been witnessing snowfall since a child. But for me this is novice and I am loving it.

All my nagging worries are slumped. I trot in the snow jubilantly.

“Only snow could have made her this happy.” Roopa said to Niharika and they joined me. The three of us ran in the snow and bombarded each other with balls of snow. People turned their heads as they passed by but who cares!!

 I felt a snowflake on my hand, than another on my nose and many more. It was then I realize it is a snowfall! 

“Oh my god. Snowfall.”

I saw them with widespread eyes and Roopa nodded.

I led out a squeal of ecstasy. I have never witnessed a snowfall before and I experience inexplicable ecstasy. The scenery is ineffable.

“This is the best day of my life. Thank you guys for bringing me here.” I hugged them tight. After taking a zillion of photographs (most of which were of Niharika) we were dead cold. 

“Guys I need to go to a warm place or my legs would freeze to death” I could hardly feel them. The snow has made my cold feet colder.  

“Yes my skin is all dried up. I need to use my moisturizing lotion” Niharika agreed.

We spot a nearby coffee shop and head towards it. The coffee shop is a typical tea stall you will find in any Indian hill station which has a limited menu of tea, coffee and boiled eggs. 

Bhaiya teen coffee dena. (Three cups of coffee please.)” Roopa placed the order.

The heat from the stove has made the tiny stall cozy and warm. I take off my shoes and rub my feet with my hands. The friction produces heat and I feel better.

“Is it the first time you are here??” the shop owner asked

“No bhaiya we study in the engineering college.” Roopa answered. Our college was well known in that area.

“Okay. So you are going to stay here or leaving for college”

“Actually we are going to nainital.”

“Oh. Beta than you better hurry up. If the snowfall continues all buses will be cancelled and the taxi drivers will demand a very high amount of money.”

On the advice of shop owner we take the hot cups of coffee and thanking him we head to the bus stand. The coffee feels amazing with the chilled air stroking my hair. After a fifteen minute walk we reach the bus station. There is no direct bus to nainital. So, we board a bus to bhavali.

The bus is warm. Only five to six more people are there except us three girls. We take the seats at the extreme end of the bus. My wet shoes have made my feet cold again. Niharika lends me her green muffler and I wrap it around my feet. Niharika is busy clicking pictures. She is such an enthusiast. Roopa looks at me and smiles.  

“This trip is really going to be special.” She said

I smile back.