Chapter 17: Recipe for Happiness

"Ugh, I'm so full." Thea moaned, holding her stomach as she laid back on the dock beside Max, their feet dangling 10 feet about the waves. "That was such a good meal."

"Full?!" Max turned to her in surprise. "All you had was a jumbo burger and half a basket of fries!" He pushed the nearly empty cardboard basket closer to her and said temptingly, "Come on, you know you want more."

"Dude I'm serious!" Thea laughed as she shoved away the oh-so-tasty fries. "I couldn't eat another bite if I wanted to. Unlike you, who eats everything in sight and is still hungry." She muttered under her breath.

Clearly he hadn't heard her remark. His face fell and he poutd. "Aww, but if you're full then what about ice cream?"

Thea couldn't help but laugh at the look on his face. He had promised to treat her after their meal to a large waffle cone and whatever toppings she wanted. "I'm sorry, I know you were looking forward to treating me, but I think I'll be sick if I eat anymore." Ice cream was practically her Achilles heel, all her friends knew it, so the fact that she was turning it down was a big deal. "I think I'll have enough trouble skateboarding home as it is." She added, trying to sit back up.

"Well considering its only 1 p.m, why don't we make our way down the pier and walk our lunch off. Who knows, you might have room for a cone later." Max winked at her.

Thea rolled her eyes and smiled as he helped her up.

After cleaning up the remnants of their meal they made their way down the pier. Lunch time was a popular hour for families and couples to walk along the boardwalk. It wasn't one of those really long, wide piers with stores or a Ferris Wheel on it, but it had a couple food and beverage stands, as well as people selling 'Costa Rica' paraphernalia to vacationers.

As they walked along carrying their skateboards in opposite hands—Max insisted on holding her free hand—Thea realized how relaxed the outing had made her. Not only getting out in the sun and fresh air, but spending quality time with Max; something she hadn't done in weeks.

She slowed, Max following her lead as she stopped to set her board down and lean against the railing. Without talking, they both gazed out to sea, watching the turquoise water ripple and shine under the bright mid-day sun. The breeze changed direction, softly blowing the salty air against their faces. Thea closed her eyes and took in a deep breath.

"Whatcha thinking about, T?" Max stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her middle.

She took her time answering, meanwhile leaning her head back to rest against his shoulder. "Sparrows." When she didn't continue Max didn't question her, but patiently waited for her to finish her thoughts.

Thea was not typically a 'think-out-loud' person and he respected her for it. But he also worried about her during times like these, when she would withdraw into herself. Once she did, it was hard to get her to voice her emotions or talk through things - even with family. She probably didn't realize it, but through this she was teaching Max lessons on patience and grace.

When she began speaking again there was a tone to her voice that Max recognized, not because she used it a lot, but rather because he had only heard it a handful of times. She spoke as if she wasn't talking to anyone in particular; her voice soft and distant midst the crowd of people. Max knew she was mulling over every word, as if each one had deeper meaning to it.

"In Luke 12:6-7 it talks about how sparrows, no matter how cheap to buy or plentiful they were in those days, are all cared for by God. That not one of them is forgotten by him." She paused once again and quoted the end of the verse. "'Do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.'"