A New Friend

((So, I'm gonna put a random Reddie song at the beginning of every chapter. In this case, it kind of doesn't match up, but still. Enjoy!))

Trigger warnings: Blood, fighting, violence

"Hey, punk!"

Vic grabbed Eddie by the arm, as Belch and Bowers watched. The smaller, freckled boy stared at the three in pure terror, flinching as Vic punched him in the face. It sent blood gushing out of his nose, slowly making its way down Eddie's mouth and chin, dripping onto his new shirt... which Sonia was sure to freak out about.

"S-Stop!" Eddie cried, knowing that would get him nowhere. Henry Bowers started to laugh as Belch imitated him. "Suh- suh- suh- stop, guys!" he mocked, sounding slightly more obnoxious than usual to Eddie.

As the three boys held Eddie against the lockers, the one and only Richard Trashmouth Tozier rounded the corner. At the right time, too.

"Man... you sound like that one kid... Buh- Buh- Buh- Bill," Vic teased, smirking. Eddie had little idea about what he was talking about; he just squirmed around desperately, trying to escape Vic's grasp.

"Hey!" Richie yelled, staring at Bower's gang from down the hallway. Knowing it was a bad idea, he ran full-speed at Vic, pouncing on him. To his surprise, he actually fell down, probably due to his tall and slender build. Richie stood up quickly, holding his hand out for Eddie as the other two members of Bower's gang stood there in confusion.

Eddie took it, staring at the unfamilar boy in confusion. Why would this random kid who just saved me hold out his hand? he thought to himself. "Fucking run," Richie explained briefly as he took off down the hallway. Eddie followed, still holding his hand.

Bower's gang was left in the hallway, without any more kids to pick on. Henry quickly helped Vic up. "Get those queers! Go!" Henry Bowers demanded. Vic and Belch took off too, not even knowing which way they actually went.

Richie led Eddie to the gym balcony, which meant Bower's gang wouldn't find them unless they actually went into the gym, meaning Eddie and Richie would notice in time to escape. He definitely knew his way around the school- last year he kind of had to, in order to survive Bowers.

"You okay?" Richie asks, staring at the boy he just saved. "Yeahh..." Eddie mumbled. "My mom's gonna kill me though, this is a new shirt-"

"Oh, well, to stop the bleeding," Richie says, pinching Eddie's nose and tilting his head back gently, "do this." The freckled boy nods, doing what Richie told him to. "Do you know what bus you ride?" Richie asks, silently making a plan in his head. "Uh, yeah... 153, first wave... probably just missed it," Eddie huffs. "The first day of school is supposed to be fun."

"You can just, uh, come home with me? We'll get the stain off of your shirt, and uh, just tell your mom that you missed the bus and I offered to help," he grins. "Oh- that's actually a good idea..." Eddie mumbles. "Yeah, I'll do that, since I have no other options anyway." Richie nods, taking his overshirt off and wiping the blood off of Eddie's face.

"Dude- that's a white shirt!" Eddie says, starting to freak out. "What-? So?" he responds, after the blood was all wiped off. "Blood is red, it'll show! What are you, homeless?"

"I have other shirts, I'll be fine. Anyway, what's your name?" Richie finally gets around to asking. "Uh, Eddie... Kaspbrak." Yes, he had to actually think to remember his last name. "How about you?"

"Ah, Eddie... that's a nice name," Richie semi-flirts, winking at him. "I'm Richie Tozier." Eddie squints at him.

"Anyway, I think it's pretty safe to go now."

"You sure? I don't want to die on the first day of school," Eddie asks genuinely.

"Nah, you'll be okay," Richie replies, standing up and holding a hand out for Eddie once again. He cautiously takes it, standing up with him. Richie's hand was smooth- with the occasional cut or scar or scab.

The boys quietly walk though the gym lobby, Eddie being the more cautious one. "In here!" Richie whispers, after opening a closet and shoving Eddie in. He could've sworn he heard Belch's voice. Richie slams the door shut.

They both stare at the light from underneath the door, panicked.