Chapter Two

Ember Scott's Diary

29 May

With mother gone, the house is seemingly quiet. Father spends long hours in his study or at the firm. I fear that he will work himself into the ground at the rate he is going. I have not seen anything of Darren, for my father has seemingly scared him away. I wish father would come to meals with me and talk to me, but I understand how hard it is for him to even look at me. Everytime I pass by a mirror, I see what my mother once was. It was in the colour of my hair, the shape of my eyes, the way I carried myself, with the silent confidence of a lady. Simple things, such as the way I hold my fork and knife while I eat or the way I hold a quill as I write my letters or in this very book.

Today was seemingly better than the rest however. Father came out of his study to eat with me and apologize for the way he has neglected me in a sort.I was told that I should go into town and see some of my friends.

"I am going to have a handful of businessmen over this afternoon and I am sure that you will find it quite boring child." Father had told me. I simply nodded and started up to my room so I could choose the perfect dress that I had in mind for a picnic with a devilishly handsome man.

I stood at the daunting doors of Darrens estate and wondered if I were to knock, what would I see once the door was opened. Could he have a wife? Children? Thinking back on it now, it seemed silly: he had asked me out on a picnic. And I do not believe it was just a picnic between friends. But my reasoning at the time had been that he had told me to invite as many friends as I wished, and it was also at the park, a largely public place. Now I see it was the fact that he only wished to save my public image, not wanting it to be tarnished by the gossip of those around town.

When the door was opened, I did not expect to see the man who was before me. What once seemed to be a man who was well put together now seemed to be in tatters. His white shirt hung loose around his large frame, his tie undone and loosely hanging 'round his neck.

"My goodness! Are you alright? Have you been sick? Did you sleep last night?" I had cried upon seeing him. I rushed in the door, only now remembering how rude it was but at the moment had not cared. The purplish half moons under his eyes were quite worrisome all on their own add everything else about appearance and you would be quite worried also.

"I am quite alright, Madame Ember. Slightly tired and have had much work to do.It is I who should ask you this question." His tone had been full of concern and I watched as his eyes ran over my appearance.

"Oh I am fine. Now, when was the last time you ate?" I grasped his hand, the warmth of the large thing encasing me. I pulled him to the kitchen, looking through the cabinets for ingredients to make soup.

"How do you know where the kitchen is?" Darren asked. I gave him a tight lipped smile.

"I had a close friend who lived here once, a while back. What kind of soup do you like?"I told him.He got up from his chair, coming to stand beside me at the counter.

"I do not wish for any soup," he told me, "I would like to go on that picnic now." A sense of giddiness arose within me at the thought of spending the day with this handsome stranger.

"Of course. Shall we go now then?" I had asked.

"We shall."

As we had walked up the drive, laughing at the memory of the children chasing the geese, father stood in the doorway, saying goodbye to Mr.Dawson.

"Ah, the lovely Lady Ember. You are looking quite well." He grasped my hand in his own before bending over to press a kiss to the back of my hand. I remember Darren stiffening beside me slightly, but thinking of it now, I know that it must have been just my imagination playing tricks on me. As he left, Mr.Dawson waved goodbye to father and clasped Darren's hand within his own. I thought it to be quite funny: Darren's large hand dwarfed the smaller, more mousy hand of Mr.Dawson. Minutes after Mr.Dawson's parting, father sent Darren off. I gave him a wave and a smile. As I watched him walk up the road from the window in the sitting room, father came into the room.

"Hello father. How was the meeting." I had gotten up from my seat and went over to embrace him.

"It was a good, child. Everything that needed to be discussed was, and agreements were made. What did you do with Mr.Arden today." He asked me. A red flush crawled up my neck at the very thought of him.

"Oh nothing really. We enjoyed a picnic at the park together and got to know each other." I told him.

The night came to end and as I got ready for bed, something struck window. Being the curious person that I am, I walked to the window and opened it. Down below, Darren stood under the balcony, a small smile on his lips.

"What are you doing, silly man?" I questioned him, giving him a smile of my own.

"I came to see you, of course. This is what the young women of today believe to be "romantic", is it not?" I laughed despite myself, all the while thinking that father was in the sitting room, just down the stairs.

"I suppose so, but I am no ordinary "young woman", wouldn't you agree Mr.Arden?" I had teased.

"I suppose not, my lady. But you are a young woman none the less. And I myself think it to be quite romantic." He very loudly whispered. I giggled to myself, letting this feeling wash over me, relishing in its warmth.

"Unfortunately, father would not think so. He would think it improper. You must go." I urged him. He seemed slightly disheartened at the thought of leaving, but complied and left.

I thought of how sad he had been at the thought of leaving and the very thought of his sadness encased me in a web of my own. Perhaps one day, when he is standing under the balcony to my room, it won't be improper: it will be a husband serenading his wife.

Goodbye for now

Ember Lucy Scott

Ember Scott's Diary

15 June

It has been a long time since I have sat at my desk and wrote in this book, and even longer since I have written to Alison. Darren has been keeping me quite busy. We go on walks together, carriage rides and picnics. We have enjoyed our time together immensely. Father, however, does not. He has given me a set time that I must be home by: sunset. I've never been late, but each day, the time flies past us and I find myself getting closer and closer to being late. Father has not said anything but I can see that he is not happy that I am pushing his boundaries. I fear that I may not be able to see Darren anymore if this continues. Perhaps I ought to stay home for tomorrow.

Goodnight

Ember Lucy Scott

Alison Beckett's Diary

1 June

It has been long since I have heard anything from Ember. She is big hearted but often gets caught up in her feelings quite easily. In her last letter to me, she spoke of the man we met at the market on her last day, and how he had acquired property in her hometown and that he wished to take her on a picnic. At the time I was quite worried for my friend, but after yesterday, I am no longer worried for her.

At the market the other day, there was a man, who stood not much taller than I. He introduced himself to me as Gared Dawson, a friend of Mr.Scott, Embers father. I asked him of Ember, and he told me that she was quite alright, even after the death of her dear mother. I had been surprised to hear of this and for a moment, wondered why she had not told me of this. But he continued, brushing off the news he had just told me as though it meant nothing to him, telling me that she had become quite close with Darren and that they spent nearly every morning and afternoon together. I was quite interested to hear that her father wanted her home every night before sundown, especially in the company as one such as Darren. No man would think to bother the hulking Irish man that he was, and he would surely put himself in harm's way before he let anything happen to her. But I could not do anything about her father's wishes from so far away.

Mother has insisted upon going to Blanchland in the coming fall to see Ember and her father as of late. Upon hearing of her close friends passing, mother has locked herself away in her room, only coming out for supper. Nothing I could do brought a smile to her face. I never realized how close our two mothers had been: it seemed as though mother was going through the death of a sister. The kitchen staff was worried for her, as her desert had returned uneaten to the kitchen.

I must sleep now

Alison Dawn Beckett