The truth

Jonah's pov:

I sat down on the counter opposite Cheyenne and Garret. "Yeah, sure." They both looked to each-other and shared a sad look. Pleading for something to happen.

"And he's promised us not to tell anyone and we've already broken the promise!" Cheyenne finished, breaking up into tears. Garret was looking down, a few tears rolling down his face. I looked back to NY hands and drug my knees towards my chest. "No! Why...how...why hurt Mateo out of everyone?" I asked, crying. Cheyenne shook her head.
"You can't tell him that we told you."
"He needs help!" I shot back.
"You promised." She said, getting up.

"We have work to do." Garret said, dismissing us both. I sighed and walked away to the freezer area. I looked around curiously, Sandra was in the makeup area with Amy, Cheyenne was talking to Glenn at the pharmacy, Garret and Dina were arguing. Myrtle and Arthur were in a silence, Brett was folding sweaters. But the one person I wanted wasn't there.

"They told you didn't they?" He asked, checking off boxes on the piece of paper in his hands. I looked at him in awe and sympathy.
"Yeah...they did. But you can trust me! Please...I want to help you Mateo." He shook his head.
"If you try and help, you'll get hurt. I don't want that and nor do you." He whispered, making a way to leave.
"Mateo...I don't care what happens to me just as long as you don't live in fear anymore. Or in misery and pain." He sighed and turned back around.

"If you want to help, you'd know it won't work no matter what you do." A tear rolled down my cheek and I couldn't hold it in anymore. I practically jumped on him and hugged him. "Please don't ever hurt yourself again, I don't want to lose you."
"Okay, okay. But you are kind of crushing me."
"Sorry...promise me you won't." Mateo sighed and put his hand in mine.
"I promise I won't." We shared hands and he turned around swiftly.

"Where you going?"
"I need to make a living." I shook my head with a slight smile, restocking the items in the freezer compartment.
I jogged back to Garret and Dina.
"Attention shoppers, if you see a woman who sounds like they're talking into a fan and looks like they've been inbred by a gorilla and a bear, run for the hills because she'll nag your head off! Thank you for shopping at Cloud 9."

Dina growled and I gave a slight smile. "Attention shoppers, please ignore the previous announcement. Thank you for shopping at Cloud 9." Dina smirked at Garret triumphantly and walked away. He was just about to complain to me about what I did but I quickly stopped him.
"We need to go out!"
"The hell we do, let's get wasted."
"No. Not yet... I mean just me, you, Cheyenne and Mateo. Try and make him feel accepted."
"Yeahhh. He won't agree to that."
"What? Why? He'll love it."

"No, he's right I would truly loathe it." Mateo smiled and looked to Garret.
"A word?" Garret nodded.
"Yeah, let's go." I looked to Garret sympathetically, he just looked back like I was asking to be Glenn's child.

Garrets pov:

"You told Jonah?" Mateo whispered.
"How did you find out?"
"Well it's not that hard when you and Cheyenne are both crying and so does he whilst you all glance at me. No, you're just talking about what you're doing after work aren't you?"
"Look, Mateo. I'm so sorry, you can still trust me, he just needed to know."

He looked at me like I looked at Jonah a previous second ago.
"Cheyenne told him!" I blurted bout giving up. He nodded.
"Thank you but please don't go telling anyone else." I nodded as he walked away.

"You told him that we told you not even a day after he told us?"
"I'm sorry it's just that I thought he should know, plus he knew already!"
"Okay...we need to find Cheyenne he's going to tell her that he knows. And most importantly that she told you."
"Shit." Instantly, we both headed towards the jewellery section. Where she was with Amy.

Amy's pov:

I was perched underneath the jewelry counter restocking when I heard someone approach. Cheyenne answered to the mystery person.
"Hey Mateo. You okay?" She asked worriedly.
"You told Jonah about Jeff?"
"I'm so sorry Mateo, he asked and I panicked. I'm sorry. He won't tell anyone."
"Promise?"
"I promise." She said with confidence. She sighed in defeat once he left. I bounced up behind her.
"What about Jeff?" I asked with concern.
She yelped and slapped me in the face with a label.

"Oh sorry, Amy. You scared me."
"Yeah, yeah, it's fine. So what's up with Jeff and Mateo?"
She gabbed my arm and ran towards the announcement counter. Jonah and Garret were joking around.
"Amy overheard Mateo. She wants to know about Jeff."
"No Cheyenne. We promised not to tell anyone about it."
"We promised not to tell the second one, you know, the worse one. Where as if we just tell her the first, she won't know."
Garret and Jonah looked to each-other.

"Well, we ain't the ones who are telling her." Jonah sighed.
"Go on then."

~898 words~