Chapter 4 - The Seating Issues

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 4 - The Seating Issues

Honestly, I grumbled to myself, it wasn't like I wanted to be here.

Here, referring to the gathering that my siblings were involved in with our childhood friends. It was a tradition that was held at least twice a month and I wouldn't have minded going if it wasn't for him.

I fidgeted in my seat, watching my brothers prod and disturb each other while Roman's fiancée, Lily was rolling her eyes with feigned irritation at their antics.

Lily was a modern artist and she was really warm and friendly and I was glad that my brother, Roman who had the countenance of a serious boring preacher had found someone like her that complemented him rather well.

The relationship between Roman's fiancée, Lily and I was pretty great. We had quite a few things in common and we had the exact same hobby to tease Roman about his stoic character. But if I moved closer to her, no doubt I would be forced to sit closer to him when he arrived and I didn't think I could bear that.

Hence, I was now sitting awkwardly at the side waiting for Kat to make this whole thing more tolerable. However, she was late and there was no way I could handle being so close to him when she wasn't here.

It was torture, agony and misery all at once if he came with one of his dates. To see him laugh and talk and show affection to them like with an arm around their shoulders or a peck on the forehead.

It was probably silly to feel this way. Wasn't I trying to get over him? Hadn't I made the conscientious decision to forget about him and to move on with my life? Besides, I wasn't anything to him. We were just friends growing up, in fact, we were probably acquaintances and in fair honesty, I doubted that he even knew how old I was or even my middle name.

When cheers and laughter sounded, I knew that he had arrived.

Looking up, there he was, all smiles and tousled blond hair and with an arm around a pretty redhead's waist.

My heart sank.

Things really couldn't get worse than it already is, I sighed, hands fiddling with my phone under the table, anxiously checking it for updates from Kat.

Abruptly, my ears caught wisps of a conversation.

"There's a seat opposite Lexi if you want it, Trevor."

And it did get worse.

Unbelievable. My brother really was a traitor.

I gaped at Raphael, my mind already coming up with ways to land him in uncomfortable situations that were similar to mine. Simmering, I probably would inform Kat on this and she would join me to make him regret it.

This was really ridiculous, I winced inwardly. Hadn't I learned to never give opportunities to jinx myself? Asking myself if things could get worse was practically an invitation for it. Apparently, I never learned.

Typical.

Quickly, I closed my mouth shut when Trevor stepped into view before sliding into the seat opposite mine. Eyes wide, I hastily ducked my head down to fix my eyes on my phone, determined to pretend that Trevor sitting opposite me was no big deal and that I could care less. Feigning boredom, I tilted my head to the side to check my emails for the umpteenth time, hoping that Kat would hurry.

My heart was pounding and I knew my palms were getting clammy.

Really, why was I feeling this way? It was as if all the effort I had partaken in to do my best to get him out of my heart was all for nothing.