Chapter 9

The next day at school, Charlotte was so radiant with happiness she could almost skip through the halls. And the only one to blame was the blond boy who could make her heart race with one look.

They had texted until 1am that night talking about anything and everything (Henry had made sure to steer clear from topics involving his job and instead focused on his critically-renowned jokes and stories). They even walked to school together in the morning, in which they continued to talk and laugh while holding hands, something Henry especially wasn't used to. He was finally starting to feel normal, and he loved it.

Charlotte had woken up that morning more excited than tired. Despite the lack of sleep, all she could think about was getting to see Henry again. The events from the night before replayed in her mind over and over again, and each time a wide grin appeared on her face. She decided to walk to school with Henry that morning, hoping Jasper wouldn't mind.

She had made sure to text her best friend, who she routinely walked with in the mornings before school. Suspiciously, he hadn't responded, and when she saw him in class he barely spoke to her. She had reminded him about their little expedition planned after school, and her curly-haired best friend merely nodded in reply. She had huffed in confusion, but decided she'd talk to him about it after school.

After the final bell of the day had rung, Charlotte stepped out of her chemistry class and towards her locker down the hallway. All day, her thought-out (and admittedly risky) plan had been playing over in her head. How many things could go wrong? Many. Was she even sure about what was going on? Nope. But she was still going to do it. And that's what worried her.

Her hands began to feel clammy as she tried to open her locker. She attempted the combination once, twice, three times, all with failure, before she shook the lock in frustration. Get it together! she thought to herself as she took a breath and stepped back.

Suddenly she bumped into a tall figure behind her, startling her off her feet. Immediately a pair of strong and long-sleeved arms went around her, gripping her upper arms to steady her.

"Whoa," she heard the familiar voice of Henry in her ear. "Careful."

She instantly relaxed in his arms, releasing a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. "Oh," she spoke. "It's you." Henry made sure she was steady before moving to face her, his back against the lockers.

"Are you okay?" he asked, stuffing his hands into his pockets, concern written over his face. "You seem a little out of it."

"Yeah, I'm good." Charlotte tried her best to come off as nonchalant as she avoided looking into his eyes. She had started to feel guilty for going behind his back.

Henry raised his eyebrows. "You sure?"

"I just can't get my locker open," she said quickly, gesturing in front of her. She attempted the combination again, "I've tried it three times and-" This time the locker opened as she pulled it, and Charlotte scoffed in surprise. The two looked at each other with wide eyes and goofy grins as Henry high-fived her.

"I guess I'm your good luck charm," Henry pointed with a smirk. Charlotte laughed as she put books away into the shelves of her locker.

"I wouldn't get too excited," she responded smartly. Henry playfully rolled his eyes, crossing his arms in front of his chest.