Chapter Six: Burger Boys

Donnie didn't tell Derek about what happened in the car that night. He was still a little confused about it himself, really. Such a strange thing to happen... Then again, it was Derek. Drunk Derek. The guy was already weird and impulsive enough as it is, Donnie should have seen something like this happening after the guy drank half his weight in alcohol. Still, he couldn't help but feel like there was something strange and desperate about that kiss. And as much as he wanted to know what the hell it was about, he dare not bring it up. Not yet. Donnie wasn't always the brightest crayon in the box, but there were some things that were obvious - asking Derek about that situation in the car the other night out right would be a bad move, and make him clam up. And Donnie had just gotten him to start opening up. Sort of. He had to ease into this. Get Derek to open up a little more. Maybe break those walls down a little more before asking anything. Anything having to do with kissing another male. As badly as Donnie wanted answers, they were going to have to wait. This was just something he needed to be sensitive about. Besides, he doubted Derek even remembered.

Unfortunately, Derek hadn't really given Donnie any time to ease into any sort of conversation. In fact, Derek didn't give him any time to talk at all. That entire week following the incident, Derek was nowhere to be seen. He had skipped the entire week of classes, which caused Donnie to grow suspicious. What the hell was this about? Derek was kind of an idiot low life, but he wasn't stupid enough to miss an entire week of class. It also screwed up their scheduled meetings, and Donnie didn't like that. It made things complicated with the principal. And he was left alone with Aiden. Which was also kind of weird... So, that Friday, Donnie decided to see if he could get an explanation out of Derek. Which meant hunting the guy down and going to his home. Which he didn't particularly want to do, but he was tired of being screwed over. He wanted answers.

It was easy, getting Derek's address. Students weren't exactly allowed to get information on their fellow students from the office, but it only took a few minutes of persuading Gordon for him to spill the beans. Gordon, stupidly, still had a shred of trust in Donnie, and Donnie took advantage of that. That and the fact that he told the guy that it would help with their 'bonding exercises' and bullshit like that. But it worked, and that was all that mattered. So, with the address plugged into his phone, Donnie hopped into his car and pulled out of the upperclassmen's parking lot of the school.

The trip to Derek's house wasn't long, but... It was uncomfortable. He quickly realized that Derek lived in... A questionable part of town. Donnie hadn't even been in this part of town. Or, hadn't been that often. He didn't like to be in this part of town. It wasn't exactly.... Great. Actually, it was the shame of their town. Apparently it was where 'thugs' lived. Where people that couldn't hold a steady job lived. Where the uneducated scum lived. Where bad people lived. It certainly made him feel uncomfortable being here but Donnie couldn't change that. He was here for Derek, and just because Derek was unfortunate enough to live in this place didn't mean he couldn't visit. As his friends liked to put it, he just had to 'grow a pair' and do what he came to do.

Coming up on the address, Donnie parked his car in front of the apartment building. It was an old brick building, only a few levels high. It had a strange beauty to it, actually... It was old, the red brick dirtied and untended to. There was ivy growing, almost vein like across the bold walls. He had noticed that this went for much of the layout and architecture of this neighborhood. It had a rustic, dilapidated wonder to it. It had a rustic feel which was only pleasing to those that had to pass by. It was probably awful for those that lived there. 

Donnie entered the building and managed to find Derek's apartment. So far the place looked... Livable. Donnie was still skeptical. And to be honest... He was worried about what he'd see on the other side of the door he was now standing in front of. Derek's life might be complicated. Might not be. Might be a mess. Donnie didn't know if he was prepared for any of that. He didn't know if he was ready to dive in head first. Some people.... Some people were more trouble than they were worth. And Derek definitely gave off that vibe. But, Donnie promised he'd try and get along with the guy, and he usually went all in when he took part in this sort of thing. Even if this sort of thing had to deal with feelings and junk. He was already too involved with Derek to turn back now. "Fuck it," he mumbled, finally knocking roughly at the door. "Fuck it."