The Oath

Kieran's POV

It was quite for about five minutes, the two boys studying us and we studying them. they were quite young, about the same age as Macey and Derek, as far as I was concerned they were still pups, I never understood packs that had pups for alpha's, they never gave their young one's a chance to be pups, to make mistakes, having control of a pack at that age must be terrifying and far too much responsibility. Although looking at the two of them and the way they moved together it was obvious they were very used to being together and the obvious distrust and suspicion in their eyes let me know they were smart but most definitely not used to seeing packs, which meant they didn’t belong to one. With every moment I was growing more worried, rogues were dangerous on their own but two of them would be even worse.

"My name is Kieran, Alpha of Red Oak, and you are?"

They didn’t move, didn’t look at each other but I could see they didn’t need to, the smaller one took charge immediately,

"This is Kyle and I am Connor...we do not belong to any pack"

I could hear Macey and Derek take a few steps away from them pushing themselves closer to us in fear and Reagan and Dylan shifted slightly, moving onto the balls of their feet in case of a fight.

"Rogues?"

I honestly wanted them to say no I don’t know why but I liked these boys, I liked the fact that they trusted each other, that they would face us so close to our own territory and I liked the fact that were honest straight out.

I saw the confusion in their eyes and I could feel the tension rise in the small clearing as we all awaited their answer

"I’m sorry but I don’t understand the term, what is a rogue?"

The breath I was holding blew out of me and I almost smiled in relief. They weren’t rogues, rogues had a scent, a cold, cruel and sickly scent that let us know that the bloodlust and mania had set in but that didn’t mean they couldn’t mask it. These boys were fresh, like the forest itself. They were just lost wolves; I smelt no pack on them which meant they had been lost for a long time now. it happened sometimes, especially if a pack ran into rogues, pups would go missing only to be found years later down line having grown up in human civilization.

Reagan and Dylan didn’t relax but I could see their relief, Macey and Derek also looked relieved, it looks like the boys were well liked already.

"That’s fine; if you don’t know the term then it doesn’t apply to you"

I could see this didn’t make them any more relaxed but they could see the relief on everyone's faces and as wolves they could scent danger, so they know they weren’t in any. The other boy stepped forward slightly causing tensions to rise slightly again but all he did was touch Conner's arm as he looked at me. His dark eyes were strong, it was so easy to see that although he was bigger and to be honest a little more intimidating he was the more compassionate of the two.

"We don’t want any trouble, we have no problem with you being here and we're not particularly violent-"