English Class

"I'm exhausted" I said throwing my stuff on the couch. My brother, Brandon Mayberry, was sitting in the recliner watching football on T.V. Brandon was a freshman at Armor Hill, who thought he was the best guy ever.

"You better move your stuff, or Mom's gonna kill you." he said, going into the kitchen and returning with a diet and a regular coke. "Your refreshment." he said, throwing the diet coke at me. I smirked, opened my drink, and took a swing. We watched football until my mom got home. Karen Mayberry, formerly Karen Wilson, worked at the Armor Hill Bank from 8:00 to 3:00, then she came home to her two children. My father, Daniel Mayberry, was a physical therapist who was always home by 6:30.

"I'm home!" my mother shouted closing the door. She looked at us, sitting in front of the T.V. and said,"Have either of you even looked at your room since we moved in 5 weeks ago? I don't think you would have homework the first day, but please pick up your rooms. Sam, I saw yours this morning, and you need to do a load of laundry. Brandon, you too." Well that was my mom. One book out of place and you need a whole cleaning day. I mean, I love my mom, but sometimes she can be a neat freak. I still went to clean my room.

Day two, I thought as I walked, again, to English. I had English, Science, P.E, Math, lunch, German, and then History as my schedule. It wasn't bad, better than the one at her old school. She waited until five people entered, then started for the door. I hope it's not like this all year, I thought going inside. There was a big group right inside the door because no one knew where to sit. A few minutes later the late bell rang.

* * *

It was chaos. Wow the IQ has really gone down here, I thought trying to see the front of the room. Finally, Mr. Lawrence read the attendance list, while pointing to the desks. On my was Paul Jackson, a stuck-up priss, and on my left was a new girl who's name I think is Sam. Great, I think, a jerk and a stranger. I take a deep breath and try to think positive. Then, Mr. Lawrence makes his next big announcement. Great.

"I know it's only the second day, but I want to get started on our first project for the year. I'm going to put you in groups of two, then your going to interview each other. Ask at least ten questions, but more is better. Finally, you will right a two page paper on your partner. Any questions?" said Mr. Lawrence. No one said anything, but a few groaned. "Okay then. Lets get you into groups." He started walking around assigning partners. Not Paul,not Paul, not Paul! I thought as he came closer to my desk. Then, in some miracle, he paired Paul with Margaret, the girl next to him. Yay! I shouted in my head. Then, Mr. Lawrence came to my desk.

"Emily, you will be with Sam." he said nodding to Sam. then walking away. I turned to look at Sam, and smiled. She smiled back, stuck out her hand, and said,"Hi I'm Samantha Mayberry, but you can call me Sam."

"I'm Emily Nelson. You can call me Emily or Em, either one works." I said, still smiling. This could be okay. I thought.