Mistakes

I missed the turn. I've lived in the same house all my life and I missed the turn onto my street. I couldn't get her out of my head. She smelled like lavender, tasted like pizza, but she also had her own personal taste. I was shaking because it all hit me at once. Over the past few days, I'd began to develop a crush on Samantha Mayberry. And I was scared to death.

"Time to get up, Emily." my mom said, as she clicked past my room in her heels. I didn't sleep at all that night, I was to busy thinking. I knew what I was going to do, I was going to take the whole thing back. I have no idea how I'm going to do it, but I will. It's all wrong, so I'll just take it back, like Kevin and our terrible first date. I got changed and went to school.

* * *

Stupid, stupid, stupid! I thought when I got to school. Makeup, painted nails, and clean, non-wrinkled clothes, that was what I was wearing. Brandon had sneered at me this morning and he was right. Now Emily will think I stayed up all night thinking about her(which I did do). I got to English and peeked inside the door.

"Boo." Emily said from behind me. I jumped and dropped all my books on the floor. "Sorry" she said helping me clean them up. I blushed bright red. "Hi, it's nice to see you." I said, happy that my voice wasn't shaking to much. She smiled a faint smile and we walk into class.

We sat at our desks without talking. I didn't really know what to say. I was about to work up the nerve to say something when the late bell rang. "Okay people, take your seats." Mr. Lawrence said,"Today we will be continuing our interview projects. Remember you only have two days left to work on them." He then walked to his desk and left us to chat.

Emily turned towards me and when I saw the look on her face I knew it wasn't good. "Okay so we need to talk and this isn't the ideal place, but it's good enough." she took a deep breath and continued. "What happened yesterday was a mistake. We kissed and it was a good kiss, but it wasn't right. I'm not . . . you know, so I hope we can just go back to before it happened. I'm willing to forget if you are. So, what do you say?" I was in shock. We had a spark and she knew it.

"Well," I said in an almost whisper. "I am. I'm a lesbian and I'm not going to forget it." I say, standing up. "Mr. Lawrence, can I use the restroom?" I said, walking out of the room.

* * *

She skipped lunch and the next day came in with a typed sheet of facts about herself. They were mostly about her family, a few random facts about herself that I already knew. I took it with a weak smile and started writing my report. She did the same until the end of class, when we walked to the door. She slipped by me, not even looking at me. It's the right thing. I thought. If it was the right thing, then why did I fell sick to my stomach?

We were steadily avoiding each other. Until the next Thursday when I was coming home with Kim to do a science project, when we ran straight into Sam. Kim didn't know about our fight, so she thought Sam had just found some new friends. Sam tried to slip by us, but Kim was hard to ignore and when she had her mind set on something, there was no stopping her.

"Hi, Sam. I haven't seen you in a while." Kim said smiling. Sam just smiled and mumbled something about a project, slightly blushing. Kim nodded and started her attack. "So, you can't be too busy to come to a party, right? Chris is throwing one this weekend, and it's going to be awesome. I'm picking up our group, so you don't have to worry about a ride. What do you say, will you come?" Kim was laying on charm that no one could resist.

"Sure, sounds good." Sam said softly. "See you later." She hurried to the parking lot and disappeared from view. I raised my eyebrow at Kim. She started walking toward her car and I followed. "What was that?" I ask, as I climb in her Lexus.

"She hasn't been sitting with us for awhile so I thought it would be a nice gesture." she said with a shrug. I sighed and decided to drop it.

Okay, in truth we hardly did any of our science project at Kim's. We mostly just talked about the party. She dropped my off at my house and I went inside to a shock.