The Other Side Of The Pillars - A Short Story by @Tjtfpro

The wooden ship crashed through a wave. The seas weren't very rough, but some rogue waves occasionally caused a splash. The sails were still full as they got close to their destination. The sailing had been easy so far- a nice two day trip from Sagr Harbor

A reef surrounded the Buraki Islands. Nobody had charted the islands, at least nobody from Sagr Harbor. There was little doubt with the ship's crew or the passengers, that somebody- something, had probably charted the islands. But the map makers weren't human, weren't here and would be nothing but trouble.

The six passengers were a mixed lot. They were partners, famed adventures who were coming to the Buraki Islands to slay monsters and reap treasure. The truth was, the four men and two women really were famous. They really were outstanding in their chosen professions. Their leader was a wizard. He had a long wide beard and hated wearing robes. His preferred outfit was a black shirt, black pants and black boots. He had a black vest with copious amounts of pouches full of stuff. At the moment he wore a black oilskin cloak to keep him dry. Despite all of the black, he was not evil. He would tell anybody who asked he just was. He loved facing danger. It didn't matter if the danger was a new spell or an angry troll. He just loved danger.

The rest of the group were equally skilled and dangerous in their own right. The priest could have been a bishop, but his taste for exotic pleasures kept him from settling down. The barbarian woman was shunned by her tribe. Finally, they had tried to talk to her when she returned to her village with a sword in her hand and vengeance in her heart. Now the tribe shunned her from the grave.

The rest of the group each had equal reasons that drove them. The common denominator was that all were excellent at what they did.

The ship continued breaking waves as it headed towards the pillars. Up in the crow's nest, the lookout spotted something to starboard. The lookout had made the journey through the pillars and to the Buraki Islands a few times before. The pay was good, the trips were uneventful and he had never had to fight any monsters. He had jumped his old ship for higher pay with a brand new captain. Now the captain was on his maiden voyage to the Buraki Islands.

The lookout shouted to the deck below. The watch stander at the prow leaned over the port railing and started yelling. The warning was too late.

A huge tentacle rose out of the water on the port side. It was as wide as a cart and longer than they could see. The tentacle had suckers as big as a barrel. The watch stander was the first victim as the tentacle snatched him off the deck. From the starboard side rose another tentacle. The wizard was the first to react. A stream of fire arced towards the tentacle. Steam hissed and sea flesh withered. Adventurers drew weapons. A third tentacle, again from starboard, breached the water and like a whip lashed out and smacked the wizard. But the wizard was not an easy kill.

Blades hacked, magic flew. The third tentacle oozed ichor as it withdrew. All was quiet in the sea- except the ever present waves.

The topside lookout yelled again and pointed. To port, 50 yards out, a broad cone shaped head with big eyes rose out of the water. It was a horrible mottled gray. Another head rose even closer to the boat. The adventurers and crew opened up on the creatures. Magic spells, arrows, harpoons flew. The nearer creature ducked beneath the waves. The magic spells had hit, but the missiles mostly missed. Out of the few that hit, only one penetrated. That was a magic arrow.

The further creature stared. It just stared. The first one started to reappear, but further out to sea.

"Something's not...." Before the wizard could finish his statement the boat lurched violently. The sounds of beams creaking and breaking was horrible. Inconceivable disaster was upon them.