confess

The next few days were the worst in Percys life. Next to the fact that the others were kinda disappointed at Percy and Nico not having to fight their way through god knows what army of monsters to get back alive, he was feeling extremely bad. He couldn't eat, barely drank anything and stayed in his room most of the time. Monster attacks came and went, as did Annabeth who seemed to worry about him. He still hadn't found the time to talk to her in quiet and break up with her. But then again, what was the point of breaking up with her when Nico simply upped and left first chance he had? Percy felt betrayed. Of course it must have hurt the boy to see Annabeth kissing him, but didn't the boy have eyes in his head?! Hadn't he seen that Percy had tried to push her away? He sighed and threw himself onto the bed in his room. He was annoyed. Annoyed and lonely. Annoyed, lonely and tired. He couldn't sleep. On the island he hadn't really noticed, but he hadn't had any dreams. Now on the other hand they had been crashing down onto him ten times worse than ever before. Whenever he closed his eyes for more than a minute, the nightmares were there, more intense than ever. Maybe to make up for the time he hadn't had any. Also the thoughts of Nico kept him awake. He was worried about him. What if he wouldn't come back? What if he had run into some monsters and got hurt? Or even worse, what if he had died? Percy jumped out of bed again at that thought. He had tried to contact Nico via Iris Massaging but without success. It was as if the call wasn't going through. Which made Percy worry even more.

„Hey, Seaweed brain. Feeling better now?" Annabeths voice pulled him out of his thoughts, staring out of the small window in his room. „Yeah. Listen, I..." He began, finally deciding to get this over with as long as they were alone. But Annabeth held up her hands. „You got to know somebody, am I right?" She asked and Percy gulped. In a way, he had gotten to know Nico all over again. And fallen for him. He looked down. „I...I'm sorry." He said and heard Annabeth draw a deep breath. „I thought so. I mean...you aren't eating, you avoid me, you look like you haven't slept in ages." She said and shook her head, not looking at her boyfriend. „I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen, Annabeth. But...you and I...I just don't think we are really meant to be..." Then he heard sobbing. Annabeth had started crying. He wanted to comfort her, but he didn't know what to do. He didn't want to lead her on, making her think they'd still have a chance. „Who is it, then?" She asked, wiping the tears away firmly with her hands, though new ones kept coming. Percy didn't answer. „So you are dumping me for another chick but you aren't brave enough to name her?!" She asked angrily and Percy didn't look at her. „I'm sorry." He said quietly and Annabeth stomped on the ground. „You're sorry?! Is that all you got to say?! You vanish for a week and come back, in love with somebody else and you tell me you are sorry?! How much do you think I worried about you?! How much do you think I missed you?!" Percy looked at her. She was still crying, but now her anger took over and she shouted some insults at him. He simply stood there. „You have never even told me you love me. Whenever I said something about how I felt or whenever I was scared you acted as if I was mad. We barely even talked to each other and if we did, it was always about your awesome ideas and plans. God, how can you throw this whole bullshit at me when you know yourself that our relationship wasn't the best?! You only took me because Luke died anyways!" He shouted at her when his patience finally wore out. It got deadly quiet in the room. Annabeth stared at him, paralyzed. „What?! You know it's true. Or did you ever feel all warm and fuzzy when you saw me, thinking 'Oh my god, he's the one'? No I bet you haven't. You have never even acted like you at least enjoyed being around me! Now you are acting as if all of this is my fault because I 'fell in love with somebody else'. But you know what? That 'somebody else' showed me how real love should be like. It should be fair and square. People should be feeling at ease with each other, able to talk about everything without feeling stupid. And you know that's true." She stepped back, her stormy gray eyes narrowing. „Fine. I get it. You never loved me and you think I have never loved you either. But let me ask you something. That girl you are so in love with, does she know you have a girlfriend? Did she tell you all these awesome things about how love should be?" She hissed and Percy felt his temper rising. „If you are trying to tell me now that I was being fooled and somebody just tried to break us up, I have to disappoint you. I have realized all those things myself. Nobody told me anything about how love should be, but by now I have a pretty good idea of it." She spat something incoherent at him and then rushed out the room, slamming the door shut behind her. Percy sighed and sat down on the bed again. That did not go as planned at all. He had intended to talk to her quietly and then end it in a way that he wouldn't hurt her too much. Instead, they had lost their temper and shouted at each other. Percy was pretty sure he had hurt her pretty badly. He knew she had tried to make the best of their relationship. And he knew she did care for him, even though he was sure it was nothing compared to how much she had cared for Luke. He laid back on the bed and let the nightmares take over, too fed up with everything else to care.