Chapter 4 - Let Go

*** LET HER GO ***

"Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, you are mad at Lizzie for telling you the truth about what your best friend truly was in High School. Is that right?" Brad asked Sam.

"No! I'm mad at her for believing what that jerk told her about Chloe." Sam corrected, her knees drawn up to her chest. They were up on the roof again and the air was cold that night, but nothing her body couldn't manage under the thin jacket and Brad had lent her.

The roof had become her second favourite place to be at. The sky was black and few stars glimmered above them.  It reminded her so much of her so much of home. How she had shared her rooftop with Dean before. When things were simpler and... when Chloe was still alive.

"So you think Vander was, probably, again, lying?"

"Probably not. Certainly! I know him very well. He'll do everything; lie about anything just to get what he wants. He even lied to his parents and kept her relationship with Chloe from them. That's all he ever does – lie to people."

Brad sat beside her with enough space between them. He knew how delicate his budding friendship with Sam was at the moment and he didn't want to take any fatal mistakes. He liked hanging out with her. "Can I say something honest?"

Sam rolled her eyes. "I think I have an idea what something honest means, but go ahead, tell me."

"Didn't you ever wonder? What if Vander's telling the truth this time?"

She rolled her head in disagreeably. "It's impossible. My best friend's world had revolved around Vander. Chloe might have worshipped Ryan Gosling, but she loved that insolent, poor- excuse-for-a-man idiot. She loved him with all her heart. She could never ever cheat on him."

Brad smiled at her. "Yes. I get it."

"What do you mean, you get it?"

"Sam, when you love someone so much that you come to a point wherein you could tell if they're lying or not. You love them so much that could read their thoughts and interpret their actions. You loved Chloe so much that you'd know if she had lied to you or not. And you are very certain she didn't because that's what your heart's telling you, and your heart knew her more than anyone else did. That's why you know that Vander's lying."

Sam stared at him for a moment before she returned his smile. "Thank you. I never thought you'd be that," she paused. "... kind of guy."

Brad laughed softly. "You were thinking of a clever adjective to describe me, weren't you? And I after my heartfelt and kind words, you just settled with that kind of guy?"

Sam was already laughing with him. "What? What would you have me say instead?"

"Oh, man, you've just hurt my feelings. Couldn't you think of something like... I don't know... you never thought that I'd be that sweet, amazing or... an awesome excuse for a man might have been acceptable."

"Ha-ha.  Might have been acceptable? Wow." Sam stood up and took the jacket off. "Okay, Mr. Awesome, I better get going."

"Do you, really?" Brad checked his watch and couldn't help the half-baked smile on his face from showing. "Is it past your bedtime, already? Your boyfriend might be looking for you."

"No and no. But I feel way better now so I better finish my book." Sam smiled.

"Ah! Of course, you have to finish that. I'll walk you back to your place then." Brad offered.