24: Taking Off A Mask

LEYLA

LEYLA

I wasn't able to fall asleep as I laid down on the sand. I didn't understand how the mer where able to catch some sleep here. This is unfamiliar to me. I still haven't mastered swimming like a graceful mermaid. I was never graceful to begin with. The king and queen were too welcoming to the point where I felt guilty. Wade on the other hand grew cold as every minute passed by. He never spoke to me after  the conversation with his parents.

It was like I was a walking plague. His mother was very sweet. She was accommodating and never seems to lose the smile on her face.  She clearly wasn't expecting me to be here. I'm afraid all of this things would become the exact opposite once they found out about the truth. I do hope I would be able to go home soon. It's been weeks since I last saw home. It felt likes months and even years but I'm frightened of how I'm going to face Julian and the others.

I've still got Sebastian, my best friend. He would be laughing his ass off if I told him that I went to a place where mythical creatures exist. He wasn't into mythical things like that. He hated Disney for his name reminds him of Sebastian from The Little Mermaid. Who doesn't love Disney? Only Sebastian. I kept reminding him that he will grow old alone if he keeps up with that attitude.

I let out a long sigh and closed my eyes. This feels so odd. I can feel my hair floating, swaying above me and beneath me. I don't like this. I looked down and stared at my temporary tail. It was beautiful. The scales were pearlescent blue and as it shimmers it gives off this holographic kind of effect. For some reason I felt like I was in a dream.

As I daydreamed, somebody suddenly came in the room and yelled at me, "Quit staring at your tail! We've got to talk!" It was Wade. He can speak! I stared at him in shock and said, "How in- You can speak!"

His eyes were flaring mad. He pointed his finger at the glowing sea shell that he was holding in his other hand. Oh, okay. He swam fast towards me and grabbed my arm with strong grip before leading me out of the room. He swam passed the other guest rooms, dragging me along with him.

He lead me outside where there was nobody in sight. We were at the back of the castle. He was glaring at me with full intensity of anger. My gaze lowered onto the sad as he started ranting about how it was all my fault why he's in this mess. "Do you know how hard it took to convince my parents to believe your stupid lie?! I thought your lie was perfect but I guess I was wrong. This blew everything away. I'm never gonna be free. Y-You..Argh!"

"Because of my mistake, they expected me to send you home to fix my mistake of bringing you here. How am I going to do that?! I don't possess any power that has something to do with getting you home. I became a disappointment because of you."