[30] Commencement

"Have you been exercising?"

Kohana nodded absentmindedly, though just barely able to hold off from giving Osamu a cheeky, "Who do you think I am?" Instead, their surroundings caught her attention in its insistent grip. Three familiar tree stumps stood before her, and behind, the Memorial Stone. She hadn't thought much about it prior to leaving Konoha for the Land of Waves, but after the deaths she had witnessed and the dangers they'd faced, the Memorial Stone unsettled her. The moment they stepped into the Third Training Ground, she'd laid her eyes on the intimidating structure. It seemed to be aware of her presence, yet unmindful of it. It felt as though the names of generations of the deceased, shinobi killed in the heat and chaos of battle, carved into its face breathed life into the smooth black stone.

She had shuddered and shifted her gaze away in reverence and apprehension.

Osamu stopped in the large space that spanned the two landmarks apart with his weight on one foot and a hand on his hip. It was the most casual Kohana had ever seen him, and it made him look as young as he actually was. Kohana couldn't help but marvel at the sight for a few seconds; Osamu couldn't be older than Kakashi and yet the latter jōnin acted like an adolescent in comparison to Osamu.

His lips curled into a faintly amused smile before he flicked his wrist and moved his hand around to redirect Kohana's attention. There was a small, blank piece of paper held between his slender fingers.

"Before we commence training, I would like to conduct a test." He extended his arm, beckoning for Kohana to take the piece of paper.

When she did, she cocked her head in confusion, turning the item over and seeing nothing but a very unremarkable piece of paper.

"I am assuming you know how to distribute chakra to appendages," he said. At the same time, he lifted one finger that glowed a faint blue. "You are able to walk and run on trees and water, correct?"

Kohana nodded, unashamed of the pride that swelled in her chest. "You bet!"

Osamu smiled approvingly before gesturing to the piece of paper. When he said nothing else, Kohana looked at the object and focused her chakra into her fingers. At least, that was what she assumed he wanted her to do.

Much to her surprise, water dripped down her hand. The paper was soaked without having made any contact with liquid!

Kohana's jaw dropped in awe. "Oh!" she exclaimed, mind hurtling at great speeds to remember that one lecture they had on chakra. It was a quick lesson, but Iruka had given them a brief overview of the affinities, of the five elemental chakra natures. The wet paper only meant one thing.

"I must say I am rather surprised," said Osamu, now leaning into Kohana's space to take the waterlogged paper. "I expected you to possess an affinity for earth, however..." He hummed in consideration.

Kohana frowned, perplexed. "How can you tell?"

Osamu smiled at her brightly. "Chakra affinities are largely made manifest by genetics. I know for certain that Umino-san is a fine lecturer, and so I expect that you know of the connection between chakra and individuality, yes?" Now that Osamu laid out information like that, Kohana could finally follow his train of thought. She nodded eagerly, a smile finding its way to her face. She had an affinity for water, so what did that say about her?

Osamu stroked his chin, adopting a cheer that appeared even more pronounced. "Although I have only seen you in battle once, your taijutsu is fluid, your tactics flexible. Your identity in the battlefield is almost unrecognizable!" He grinned, crescent eyes and all, as if he hadn't just taken a jab at Kohana's personality.