[31] High-Speed

Kohana took a swing at Sakura's temple, but the girl easily blocked it, capturing Kohana's wrist with one of her hands. Sakura's knee came at Kohana's side, but the redhead's other hand was free, and so she caught Sakura's leg and pulled just as she pushed forward with her seized arm. A yelp was heard, then they were both falling. It was messy, but Sakura was on her back with Kohana's freed arm holding her down to her neck. Kohana had won, and the kumite had barely even started.

Sakura stared up at her with wide green eyes, as though still trying to register what had just happened.

"Woah," she panted. Kohana agreed. What happened? The battle began, but Kohana had attacked first, Sakura was on the defense, and... that was it, essentially.

She helped Sakura sit back up while she flopped back onto the grass, a little bewildered, a little proud. "Ah. I meditated."

Sakura looked unconvinced. "Really? It can't be that simple, can it?"

Osamu nodded. "Sometimes, simplicity is the key to victory," he said. "End battles quickly; preserve your stamina by outwitting your opponent. It is a known strategy, but..." he sighed and shook his head like a disappointed parent. "Alas, far too many shinobi engage in combat for the glory and carnage."

As little experience she had, Kohana recalled the manic look in Zabuza's eyes when he'd found a worthy opponent in Kakashi. The Sound-nin had that same look when they ambushed Team 7 at their most vulnerable. Their intent to destroy was dark, wild, and translated far too well in their actions. Kohana could imagine enjoying the thrills of combat, but never quite the spilling of blood for the sake of needless brutality.

"It seems as though you agree," Osamu said, looking at Kohana with a tiny, satisfied smile on his lips. "Had I expected and observed otherwise, I would not have offered to become your teacher. Regardless, I would still respect any changes of heart. You are still rather young, after all."

Next to her, Sakura let out a breath of awe and consideration. She turned to look at Kohana, who saw the very same emotions she felt reflected in her teammate's eyes.

That was pretty cool, Kohana thought. He's pretty cool.

"And you aren't young?" she teased him, and nearly let out a shout when a blush colored the ever-so-stoic and formal Satoru Osamu's face. He turned away and coughed very awkwardly into his fist. "I-I am old enough."

Kohana grinned deviously as Sakura asked, "How old are you, Satoru-san?"

"My cute little kōhai is twenty-three and can't hold his liquor." Large gloved hands took hold of Kohana's biceps and pulled her up too fast for Kohana to leap away. Kakashi stood up to his full height, and Kohana was vexed to note that her feet were now a significant few inches off the ground.

Sakura gasped. "Kakashi-sensei!"

"Sensei, what are you doing," Kohana asked wearily just as Osamu spluttered out a, "Please do not patronize me, Kakashi-san!"

"Or I will suffer the consequences for sixty lifetimes. Yes, yes, Satoru-sama." Kakashi did not sound any less patronizing in the least, but if Osamu wasn't going to make Kakashi 'suffer the consequences for sixty lifetimes' for that, then Kohana guessed this was a regular occurrence between them. Pretty cool, too, that her two of her favorite teachers got along.

Osamu grumbled petulantly under his breath.

"What are you doing here, Kakashi-sensei?" Sakura asked, patting her rear clean of dirt and grass stains as she stood up to regard him curiously. Kohana pouted. She did not appreciate being carried like some pet.