Chapter 46 | Stop It

Elena's P.O.V.

'Things happen for a reason' is perhaps one of the most stupid sayings I have ever heard.

What reason could be so important that you have to put one through hell to make it come true? It's unfair. The world was never equitable - not even for a second.

If I am to go through something that will cause pain, I should have the right to know the reason. It's like I have been writing a deal I did not want with life. Anything can be thrown at me, and the reason behind the hell will not be uncovered until death.

Maybe there will be something good in the end, I don't know. But you have to chew on whether the consequences overweigh the reason or not.

You have to look at the full picture.

If the reason why I was taken from my daily life was to face Hazel and the storm, it is clear that the consequences shadow everything and overweigh logic and sense.

It is without a doubt that the world's acumen is the worst. God, how much I hate it. So callous. So cruel. So careless.

A heavy shower is soon over, I told myself over and over, hoping that I could somehow believe it.

"A heavy shower is soon over," I mumbled as I walked to the forest, the destination being my house. "A heavy shower is soon over."

My grandma used to tell me that experience is the best teacher, but the tuition is high. I never really grasped what she meant, and to be honest, I thought that I understood the double meaning.

I get it now. I understand what she was trying to say.

The walk home had me shaking and trembling. My teeth chattered, and I could not feel my fingers or toes. It seemed like this year's summer didn't have any good weeks either.

I thought that the forest would shield me from the breeze, but then again; when the trees wave, the wind is stirring.

The closer I neared my home, the stranger it became.

Blue and red lights lightened the dark evening. The colors brought my mind elsewhere as police officers, paramedics and firefighters covered most of my street.

"What's going on?" Although there were some people surrounding me, no one answered, too occupied to watch the scene.

For a second, I became worried that something had happened to Carl. It wouldn't be the first time he managed to summon all three emergency services.

However, when his voice echoed, I knew he was alive and well.

"Elena!" His eyes were swollen and red, and he was trembling in my arms as we hugged. He breathed unsynchronized and heavy, grasping for words or something to say. "Elena. . ."

It was too soft. Too gentle. Too thin.

Something was wrong. Something was dreadfully wrong.

I wanted to ask what was going on, I wanted to know what had happened. But when I let my eyes wander and saw the old, red car that had almost killed me last year, I wasn't so sure anymore.

The firefighter pulled out Adam's friend that I had barely met weeks ago, putting him on a stretcher and driving him away.

The car glass was shattered beyond, and the front was bulky and stained with a dark color. Car pieces were scattered everywhere along the glass that painted the ground.

But then I saw it.

The fractured glass left a trail that led to a white sheet, covering a lifeless weight.

I ran from Carl and threw up in a corner, shaking so badly that I could not grasp anything at all. Tears blinded my sight, and I wiped my eyes and mouth to clear everything.

Breaths came faster and in short terms, and it made me dizzy and disorientated. Fear scratched and beat me from one side to the other, filling me with glass shards that made it difficult to breathe.

No, please, I beg you, please.

And that's when I saw them. That's when I saw their tears and heard their cries of despair; the cry of mercy.

Mr. and Mrs. Phillips met my watering eyes. They looked at me with such misery and mourning, such grief it killed me twice. Their orbs were heavy and their faces permanently damaged.

Mrs. Phillips looked at the white sheet on the ground, her red eyes watching it with such intensity. Then her orbs met mine; hopeless and painful.

And she nodded.

I don't remember what happened after that. I just knew that somebody was screaming and I wanted that person to stop; I wanted it to stop.

I wanted to stop it. I wanted the world to stop - I wanted to stop the world from massacring. I wanted to stop it.

Just stop it.

Stop it.