Chapter 14

That weekend, after everyone was finished packing for the beach, we loaded the van up and prepared for the trip.

The past couple of days had been boring, to say the least. Though I had gone to see Bradley at Target a couple of times, it was clear he still felt awkward about the whole Bryce situation. Not to mention how he didn't bring up helping me achieve a job there again, which kind of sucked. I had really wanted that.

In other news, Bryce was back to ignoring me. No teasing, no talking, no anything. Ever since the night I'd touched him, he's been acting like I don't exist. And maybe I had crossed the line, but he hadn't exactly pulled away or stopped me.

"Are you ready Caroline?" Amy asked me, tossing her bag into the trunk of the van.

I smiled and nodded before saying, "Yeah, just waiting on Jesse. She should be here in a few minutes."

She nodded in understanding, opened her mouth, paused, and then opened it once more. "I hope you don't mind us tagging along this year," she said, smiling apologetically. "I know this was you, your mom, and Jesse's thing." 

I frantically shook my head. "No, of course not!" I exclaimed. "I'm happy more people are coming. I only wish Mr. Hard could've come along too."

Before she could reply, however, Jesse came into view, riding her bicycle and pedaling furiously. "Sorry I'm late," she called. "I overslept!" On her back there was a fairly large bag, surely filled with at least ten pairs of clothes and other necessities.

"Jess," I said when she pulled up and stopped by my side. "We're going to Daytona Beach, not Hawaii. Why do you have so much stuff?"

Looking slightly offended, she braked in front of Amy and I before saying, "I always bring this amount of clothes." 

It was true, but still, I couldn't quite understand.

"Well," Amy said. "Put it all in the trunk while I go get the others, and then we'll head out." She flashed another smile and then proceeded inside.

After she left, I helped Jesse put her bag in the van, not expecting her to turn on me with raised eyebrows and an expecting look on her face once we were finished. 

"So how's Bryce doing?" she asked. 

I groaned. "Not this again," I said. 

"Oh, come on," she exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. "There still hasn't been any progress?" 

"What did you expect me to say?" I asked, sighing and slamming the trunk closed before turning to lean my back against it. "Bryce is still Bryce. If anything's changed, it's his feelings of hatred growing stronger. As a matter of fact, he's ignoring me now." 

"Again?" Jesse asked in disbelief, folding her arms across her chest and leaning back beside me. "My Lord, that boy cannot make up his mind, can he?"

"You're telling me."

"And you still like him?"

I shrugged. "Apparently."

"What about the Target guy? His name was Brian, right?"

"Bradley," I corrected, looking towards the endless blue sky. Not a cloud in sight, and yet my mind was so fogged up with emotions. "He asked me out, but I just wasn't feeling..."

"How you felt for Bryce? Or... feel, since you aren't over him yet?" 

I could feel her gaze on me, but I simply shrugged. "Yeah, I guess. It doesn't matter though; Bryce completely scared him off."