Chapter 28: Colourful Truths and Excuses

The day after learning the identity of the second drysta in Maarqyn’s house, Georgianna was unable to stop thinking about him, or about the brother who had left him behind. A variety of scenarios had played through her mind, of Maarqyn keeping him locked up, or of Landon being subjected to the most despicable torture while Nyah was forced to listen.

With Crisco closed until later that evening and Jaid watching over Medics’ Way, Georgianna slipped from the tunnels and her thoughts, walking the long path that led out to the camps. She was certain, yet again, that she would receive a strong word or ten from her father. Yet as she walked, she found she could not be concerned about it. It was better to meet his worries with silence than tell him into what she had got herself tangled. Georgianna could already imagine her father’s reaction. She could picture the way his eyes would bulge and the way he would keep an eerie calm as he ordered Halden and Braedon from the room. Once alone he would shout and get angry, only quietening when he had shouted himself out, a deadly calm resolution that was not to be argued with. It was smarter not to tell him.

The heat did little to keep the Veniche from the path, unlike the Adveni who were taking every opportunity to shield themselves from it. Out on the building constructions, Adveni forced to oversee their creations stripped to as little as possible in the hopes of cooling their burning skin in the breeze while the skilled Veniche workers kept themselves covered to avoid the harmful rays.

Out in the camps, trade and chores continued as usual and Georgianna was held up from her destination three times by those hoping that she would trade for medicines. By the time Georgianna reached the Lennox home, she had a supply of beans enough for three stews, and had picked up some hyliha leaves. Their seller had been most impressed with the price she offered for them.

Away from the open door, the house was dark with creeping shadows. It wasn’t until she had called twice that her brother appeared from the kitchen, a hide bag swollen with liquid dangling from his fist.

“Well, if it isn’t the girl I used to call sister,” he mocked, giving Georgianna a stern look that was more and more reminiscent of their father every day.

“I don’t know, brother. I remember you would give me far more colourful names.”

“Yes well, were Da’ here, I’m sure he would think of something colourful for you.”

“He’s not here then?”

“Luckily for you, no.”

Georgianna smiled and slipped past Halden into the kitchen. Dropping her bag into the corner and the beans into the trunk, she turned to her brother, glancing down at the hide in his hand.

“You have a foal?”

Halden didn’t use the hide for anything but foals, though he had not had one to tend for a long time, even considering that it was the wrong time of year for it.

“Yeah, got him a few days ago. Ikal was in no place to take a foal, promised him to me soon as he knew the mare was carrying.”

Georgianna’s eyes widened. Foals fetched a hefty price, and Halden reared the best. It would easily keep them fed down the trail. That was, if they were planning on making it. She had shared her wish with Keiran to go, but it only occurred to her now that she had not asked her family. While the south would be much more manageable than Adlai once the freeze set in, they may already have chosen to stay where work was more readily available.

“Come out,” Halden said, moving to the back door. “He still needs the rest of this.”

She followed him to the back door, taking a seat on the step as she watched Halden urge the bandy-legged foal back to the hide. The gentle sound of the foal suckling lulled them into silence, Halden carefully brushing the foal’s neck while Georgianna picked absently at the grass between her feet.