Chapter 5: Freed-Up Time

Jaid took over on Medics’ Way again in the late evening, having had no luck in locating her husband, Si. Georgianna could see the worry on her face and had offered to cover the next shift, but Jaid would have none of it. She claimed working on the Way would keep her mind busy, but Georgianna was sure that the moment Jaid was alone she would be imagining all the worst things that could possibly have happened to him. Then again, Keinah, the only other regular medic, wasn’t in any state to go very far, with her pregnancy so far along. No doubt, if Jaid needed, she would be able to call on the mother-to-be.

Once all the notes had been handed over and the current states of patients explained, Georgianna walked with Lacie back into Belsa territory, leaving the girl a couple of hundred yards from the car she shared with Marshall Casey. She didn’t need to walk the girl back; enough Belsa knew exactly who Lacie was that she would get help if she ever needed it, but she enjoyed the walk. The young girl was sweet and quiet, but always had interesting opinions on things when you got her talking.

Turning away from the tunnel leading to the marshall’s car, Georgianna headed west through a smaller tunnel off the main encampment, away from the main bustle of people coming and going. It wasn’t a long walk, which, after being out and about all day, was a relief. Georgianna had always been active, but some days it became a bit much, running all over the place.

Despite her work as a medic, helping people didn’t pay much more than trade and favours. Most nights, once she’d finished whatever she happened to have on that day, she headed over to the Rion, an Adveni district filled with bars and restaurants. The Adveni were more accustomed to having purpose-built places to eat and drink, so they allowed a few Veniche to work in their establishments, pouring drinks and delivering food. Today, however, Georgianna wasn’t expected to be at Crisco so she headed through the Belsa tunnels to one of the other places where she spent some of her evenings.

The shack, made of sheet metal stolen from an Adveni construction site, was held together with rope and strategically placed bricks. Despite its ramshackle appearance, it was surprisingly sturdy, something Georgianna had found out by accident when she tripped and fell into one of the walls.

Approaching the side where a thick canvas sheet covered the opening, Georgianna reached out and smacked her hand against the nearest section of metal.

“Are you decent?” she asked, shifting her weight. “Or alone?”

There was silence for a moment, in which Georgianna considered peeking inside. There was always a chance that he wasn’t there. It wouldn’t have been the first time she’d found the shack empty. Though before she had the chance to peer inside, or turn and walk away, the canvas was pulled back at an angle and a cheeky grin appeared in the opening.

“Have you ever known me to be either?” it asked.

A large hand came out through the gap and tangled itself in amongst the hair at the nape of her neck, pulling her in.

Georgianna barely had time to look around to confirm the answer to either of her questions before soft, warm lips found her own, drawing her up to meet them. She smiled against the kiss, her own hands seeking out the gentle slope of his waist before she carefully pulled herself back.

The lamp was lit, and it sent flickering light over Keiran’s stubbled jaw and smooth skin. He looked down at her, grinning that charming, cocky smirk that had first made her notice him. He was so self-assured, with such easy going charm, that it was almost impossible not to like him.

“You’re dressed, I’m disappointed,” Georgianna chuckled.

A raised eyebrow met her comment, his smirk broadening as he teased his fingers through her long hair.