Mysterious Book

Hi! This is was supposed to be a one-shot, but whatever. More notes at the end of the story. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.

###

It was a sunny day at Konoha. Civilians bustled through the streets, completely oblivious to the shinobi, scampering on rooftops to get on their missions. So that meant that not many people noticed a redheaded genin lurking in shadows.

Gaara was taking a walk to the library. When he told his siblings about that, Kankurou nearly dropped the steaming pot on the ground. Based on his appearance, not many people could think that the middle sibling had taken a hobby in cooking. The first time Gaara saw his brother in pink apron with a cooking pan in one hand and a spatula in other — No, thought Gaara as he pushed the image at the back of his head, I'm not going to think about that. So it was completely safe to say that Gaara was freaked out even if he didn't show it on the outside.

Anyways, Kankurou was been very shocked. Gaara rarely went to libraries. And rarely told his sister and brother where he was going, why, and when. So it was natural for the puppet-user to think that the world was ending.

At first Kankurou thought that this was an impostor. But then he noticed the way the sand twitched in Gaara's hand, irritated that the older sibling was gaping at him for a long time now, Kankurou instantly knew that wasn't the case.

So he went with the safest routine — just nodded and grunted. Gaara turned around and was out of sight.

Now he was stomping towards a large building, having finally found it. Strolling inside, the redhead instantly found his way into the dictionary unit, snatched up the first book that came to his eyes and sat on a chair.

Book in his hands, he quickly went over some words that popped in his mind at the memory of the kiss.

Peck |pɛk|

noun

1. a stroke or bite by a bird with its beak.

2. a light or perfunctory kiss.

3. [mass noun] archaic, informal food.

Platonic |pləˈtɒnɪk|

adjective

(of love or friendship) intimate and affectionate but not sexual.

He sighed. In every dictionary he searched, the answers have been the same. Then a familiar pang in his head started. Carefully, he searched for the word of which he could never understand, word that brought him so much pain.

Love |lʌv|

noun [ mass noun ]

1. a strong feeling of affection.

2. a strong feeling of affection and sexual attraction for someone.

Was it really that hard to write an understandable explanation? Now he might never know if butterflies in his stomach whenever he thought of the pinkette were proof of deep love or a platonic crush.

But then, he saw a dusty book on the edge of the bookshelf. Taking it out, he looked for the publishing date, finding out it was printed long before he was even born. Blowing on the cover to get the dust out, he read the title.

It was called What is this Feeling? and had no author name on it. Cheesy name, thought Gaara, but it will do.

Cautiously flipping on the first page, he started reading.