Unexpected Appearance

The fight was heating up. The three ninjas from the Village Hidden in Sound were taking over slowly, step by step. Seemed like they just wanted to do it slowly and painfully. The odds were against Sakura. Bleeding badly, she took another step backwards to Sasuke and Naruto, standing in a defense stance. No, she won't give up! If anything, she would protect her unconscious teammates until her last breath. It was time to prove that she wasn't useless after all. With all the last strength she had, Sakura lunged forward, blocking the enemy kunoichi's path.

###

Gaara sprung onto the next tree, moving as swiftly as ever. He was getting ahead of his siblings. His brother and sister were clever enough to leave him alone for now. The tension was still in the air and all three of them could feel it, even though the place of murder was long left behind. Neither of them talked about it, though Kankuro and Temari did exchange weird looks with each other. The young Sabaku sighed, mentally, of course. Didn't they understand that he was in charge of the mission? He may be the youngest, but they should at least treat him with respect. He paused. Maybe he should 'remind' them what he was capable of. Or not. Maybe not for now, at least.

Gaara stopped. He could smell the scent of blood in the air and faint sound of ongoing battle had reached his ears. Turning his head back the way he had come from, he briefly debated on what to do next. Kankuro and Temari were at least a mile behind - he was traveling quickly while they had a more cautious step. Should he wait for them? No. They won't be able to come in time and Gaara wasn't feeling like talking to them right now. Besides, he was in the murderous mood and a fight was just what he needed. He quickly changed course and started moving towards the battle.

He definitely wasn't expecting whatever was coming at him.

###

Sakura was wearing up now. Her chakra level was low, and the odds were REALLY against her. Right now the girl was on all fours, trying to get up. Maybe she should give up. The pain was bad and she wondered if she could even take it. But then, her Inner started scolding her with words that would be to rude to be put here and pinkette felt very ashamed. Though it changed to surprise when she suddenly saw a redheaded boy from the Sand Village.

The next moment he disappeared. Trying to get herself together, she realized that he simply was moving too fast for her eyes, and lying on the ground some more, she realized that nobody was attacking her. That was weird. Then, suddenly, the shock from previous hit was gone, and she was able to focus properly.

The boy was protectively standing in front of her. Sakura wondered how she didn't notice him before. His sand was doing crazy things to the Sound shinobi, as they were beaten, teared up, and bleeding. Trying to stand up, Sakura suddenly saw some of the sand fly over to her, and braced herself for a hit. It never came. Instead, the material became as soft as a pillow, and even helped her sit up, pushing her back forward and staying there. Young kunoichi felt genuinely surprised.

###

The first thing that came to Gaara's mind when he finally arrived at the battlefield was that there were only three shinobi to kill. Then he noticed a girl with the most unusual hair color in front of a tree tunnel. Looking inside, he noticed that blond kid with whiskers (what was his name again? Maruto?) and Sasuke. Smirking, he decided that the black haired ninja wasn't as good as he thought. But then, this small girl was stronger than the both of them, or... maybe they survived an attack from something bigger while she was hiding?

Pushing the thought in the back of his head, he focused once again on the girl. Previously she had her head down, now she turned his head in his direction. Gaara froze, unable to move. Her pink hair arced through the air, like blood in water, as her bright green eyes glanced at him.