Chapter 14: The Tests

Michelle had been in the hospital for an hour, and a despite her friends urgings, she’d decided not call Bryce. She didn’t want him worrying over her, when realistically, she was just stressed. How could she not be stressed, between school, a full time job, and an impending wedding? She hadn’t been feeling hungry lately, barely even eating when Bryce cooked for her. Michelle would barely even taste test her own food. Her nerves were on edge and over the edge, and she was shaky and weak constantly. But Michelle did want Bryce to have even a hint of doubt at how happy she truly was. She had found the love of her life, and despite the insanity of it all, she knew it was right. Sure, she still thought love at first sight was a crazy idea, but they knew each other. They lived beside each other and shared a bad for almost three months, and it was time to make it all real. But nothing said cold feet like fainting in the bridal shop, and Michelle didn’t want Bryce to worry.

“They sure are running a lot of tests,” Magda mused.

“It’s because of the name,” I said. “When you see ‘Paul Silas’ on an emergency contact section, you run every test. Do you have any idea how much money Dad donates to this hospital?”

“Enough to run every test,” Magda asked.

                “Exactly,” I said. “Besides, I am fine, really.”

“Well, at least you got your wedding dress,” Madga said. “First time was a charm.”

“I’m getting married,” Michelle said happily.

“You’re already married,” Magda said with a serious look.

“I know, but, it’s different…”

“Michelle,” Magda’s voice trailed. “Can I ask you something without offending you?”

“Of course. You can ask me anything.”

“It’s just, you and Bryce got married so fast. What made you do it? I mean, really, what is going on?”

“It’s a bit of a long story,” Michelle said. “But we didn’t meet on the street when I spilled coffee on him, like we told everyone. We met at the financial aid office at school.”

“Ok…”

                “We were both trying to find out how we could file as independents,” Michelle continued.

“Oh no, Michelle. Was Bryce a part of one of your crazy schemes?”

“Yes,” she admitted. “But he was game. We would get married and be friends to get financial aid, and then amicably divorce when we graduated.”

“But Michelle, that sounds crazy. What if he had been an axe murderer?”

“It’s Bryce, Magda. I knew within seconds he was a good guy. Of course, the hiccup in our plan was that Bryce wanted more than a friendly arrangement. He wanted sex too, which I tried to say no to. I lasted about a day, because honestly, I didn’t want to resist that much.”

“Well, yeah,” Magda laughed. “Bryce is pretty hot, and sweet.”

“So pretty quickly it turned into more, and he asked me to be his girlfriend. So publicly we were married, but we considered ourselves to be dating. Then at midterms, Bryce told me he loved me. I know it’s quick, but it feels so real. We work together.”

                “So you love each other,” Magda said. “But I see why this whole wedding thing is stressful. You’re marrying your secret boyfriend husband, and it must be confusing. The lines are so blurry.”

“No, no, no. Bryce, he proposed to me. This time, we are getting married for real. I love him Mag, and I don’t want a divorce or normal life; I just want him.”