Chapter 9: The Dirty Socks

Three Weeks Later

After weeks of working and living as a couple, Michelle and Bryce both began classes, since their financial aid came in the night before they began school. Bryce was taking a usual load of pre-med classes in the morning, such as Organic chemistry, Anatomy, and a psychology class. Michelle was signed up for an afternoon of philosophy and political science, excited for the opportunity to be back in a classroom.

"So I come home at 12, and you're heading to class," Bryce said. "Then you get back from class at three, and I leave for work at four. Michelle, we're barely going to see each other."

"Relax Bryce," Michelle said. "I'm quitting my night job for school. We will still see each other on nights and weekends do early mornings. Besides, we're not actually married so we don't need to see each other 24/7."

"But I need my Michelle fix," Bryce said. "I think I'm addicted to you girl..."

"You're such a dork," Michelle laughed. "But hey, we have an hour before class. Do you want to hit the bookstore?"

"Or we could spend some quality time together," Bryce said, grabbing Michelle and pulling her closer.

"I think we need to slow down a little bit," Michelle said. "I mean, I love all the sex we're having..."

"Yeah you do," Bryce laughed as he said it.

"But we need to take a pause. Remember, we both have friends, and lives outside of our bedroom."

"Does this mean no more naked fun? Because I am not down with that..."

"No, I just mean that we should take a more balanced approach. Besides, I still have no idea how to rationalize what we are Bryce. We are married, but we're not married. We live together, but who've never discussed if we are alright with us seeing other people discreetly."

"That's a no," Bryce said.

"Well, see, you just answered one of my main questions. I mean, I know in public we are married. But in my own head, I need some labels and boundaries. Are we just fake spouses, or what is happening?"

Bryce almost said a few things. He almost said that he didn't want to pretend. That he was falling in love with her slowly, and he knew by the end of four years, he'd never want to let her go. But he'd gotten to know Michelle best in the last couple of weeks. She got scared easily, and she didn't trust people easily. So instead he just pursed his lips and looked at her.

"What do you want us to be, darling?"

"I don't know," Michelle whispered. "Things are just so complicated..."

"It's pretty simple, Michelle. Do you have feelings for me?"

"Of course," She said.

"Do you want to be my real wife?"

"No, I'm not..." Her voice trailed off. "This is where it's complicated. It's not as if we can just date. We already live together, and technically we're married."

"I think we can do what we want," Bryce said. "Look, I know what I want. I want you however you'll let me have you, so figure it out."

"Let's just go and get some books," Michelle said, grabbing her purse. "I have to work in an hour."

"As you wish," Bryce said, following her out of the door.

After stopping for some coffee, Michelle and Bryce showed up at the campus bookstore. Luckily, there was a discount book store across the street where they could buy cheaper books, so they stopped there first.