Chapter Eight

Charlie watched as Imogen struggled with her keys at the front door to her shop, he looked up and down the street but there was no one around. A car alarm began whining in the distance as he finally heard the lock click. Complete silence greeted them when they were through the door, she bolted it behind them then turned to look at him. The pale moonlight danced across her skin as it fought with the blanket of cloud that swept across the sky; he stared at her mesmerised, she looked the most beautiful he’d ever seen her.

In three quick strides he was standing in front of her, looking down into her eyes knowing he shouldn’t be doing what he was doing. It was far beyond the decoy date they’d organised; he should have stopped at dropping her off, making sure she was okay and leaving. However he just couldn’t bring himself to, he didn’t want to leave her, he wanted to stay and look after her. His heart pounded against his ribcage trying to escape as his head leant down to hers slowly, so slowly, giving her all the time to pull back; but she didn’t, she stood still just staring into his eyes.

When their lips touched he felt the heat explode within him, he’d been fighting this feeling every time they’d kissed since that first one in the street. This time however he let the sensation run through him, enjoying the tingling that covered his whole body, delighting in the path her arms took up his back to pull him closer. They left a trail of fire and goose bumps as they went, he felt her gasp as his tongue traced her lips and danced with her own. They continued to kiss until he felt like he couldn’t breathe, he pulled away unwilling to leave the heat behind but he thought he might pass out if they didn’t stop. Her hand was clutching his shirt as his chest heaved up and down.

They were both breathless as she moved a hand to her lips looking at him confusedly, her fingers traced over her red, swollen mouth. Staring at her lips, he felt proud that he had done that to her; he didn’t know what had come over him, the kiss just felt like the right thing to do. However as he watched her bewilderment, guilt and uncertainty crept into his conscience; they weren’t actually dating and he’d just kissed her so passionately and with so much desire he’d bruised her lips. Charlie closed his eyes and rubbed his temples trying to comprehend what had just happened, he shouldn’t have done that, really shouldn’t have done that.

“I better go. Sorry!” He turned on his heel and practically ran out of the shop, dropping his car keys as he fumbled with them by the car door. He was so confused, there was something else in that kiss, something deeper, for him anyway and she’d looked so strange before he left; fighting with herself over wanting more or not. Finally he got the key in and turned, only letting himself breathe when he’d sat down, he pictured her bemused face all the way back to his house. He’d virtually taken advantage of her, she’d had a lot to drink and he knew she wasn’t completely sober when she'd asked him in for coffee, she’d been vulnerable after her fainting episode earlier and he’d just overpowered her with his lust.

Each time he replayed what happened he painted himself in an increasingly worsening light, some sort of sex-crazed monster who had thrown himself at a beautiful, slightly drunk woman. He ignored the calls of his friends as he ran upstairs, heading straight to his bedroom and lay face down on the bed, hoping the duvet and pillows would suffocate him and stop the shame that was continually building. After a few minutes he rolled over and looked at his ceiling imagining her face again, only this time he saw the smiling one that had looked at him all night at her parents’ house. Eventually tiredness took its toll and he was thankful to fall into a dreamless sleep, fully clothed on top of the covers.