Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2:

           I woke up in the morning after Nick and I passed out. There was an empty pizza box signaling we ate pizza. Nick fell asleep with his new personalized jacket on. I felt accomplished. I pulled myself off of the futon couch we passed out on, and Nick woke up.

           “What?” he rubbed sleep off of his face and looked around dazed for a moment. Then he realized he was at my house. “Morning,” Sleep was still apparent in his voice.

           “How’s about some breakfast,” I jumped up, eager to eat.

           “Sounds simply amazing,” muttered into the pillow.

           “First,” I said, pulling him up “you need to take that jacket off.” He mumbled “mph” into the pillow. I jerked his arm, and his head snapped up in attention.

           “What?” His facial expression trailed off. Sleep was his best friend, and he loved it to death. He spent most of his time with his other best friend.

           “Come on,” I pulled the jacket off, and slowly pulled him up off of the bed. For such a thin guy, Nick was pretty heavy. Either that or he just didn’t want to get up. “Do you want pancakes or not?” I asked.

           He jumped up and was ready to go downstairs. That was easy. Pancakes were set up for two, personalized by mom. Strawberries for eyes, whip cream for the smile and nose, and orange juice on the side. Just the way we ate pancakes since we were little. It was a sort of tradition, and we weren’t going to break tradition were we?

           “So,” my mom started “what were you two up to last night?”

           “Nothing, mom” I said.

           “Now, now,” Nick said “it wasn’t just nothing.” He looked up at my mom and smiled. “Fallon made me a jacket. It’s pretty awesome if I do say so myself.”

           “Really,” my mom’s eyes lit up “then we shall have to see it! Go get it and come down here and model it.” 

           Nick ran upstairs and brought it down. He put it on and walked through the kitchen like a model. Sometimes he was just too silly. But that was Nick. He was my silly best friend, and that’s what I loved about him.

           “Fallon, you are going to be an amazing designer, I just know it!” mom exclaimed. She seemed too sure of it. I was getting suspicious of her lately.

          “Mom,” I said “what did you do?”

          “Nothing,” she avoided eye contact.

           “Nothing,” I pressed.

           “Yep,” she was still avoiding eye contact. I was beyond suspicion at this point and I was determined to find out what she was hiding. She was horrible at keeping secrets, so I figured I would have Nick press her for the details. He could make her squirm and spill the beans.

           “Kay,” I said folding my arms. She was squirming already. We turned our attention back to Nick, who was still strutting his stuff in the kitchen behind the island counter. He stopped.

           “What,” he looked confused. I motioned for him to come here and I got up and went to talk to him.

           “I need you to get my mom to spill.”

           “Spill what,” he was beyond confused.

           “You always get my mom to spill whatever secret she’s hiding, so I need you to get her to spill the big pot of beans on whatever she’s hiding. I’ve been too suspicious of her. She’s been saying things too confidently, and I can’t get her to confess anything to me! But you,” I looked back over towards my mom “you can. You were the one who could always, and easily, get my mom to confess to anything.”