Swan Song {18}

Mitch and I made our way to the kitchen together sleepily. We sat at the counter and I grunted at my mom.

                Mom glanced at me. “Jace, I don’t speak caveman. Use your words like a big boy.”

                I grunted again.

                “Jace Ryan,” she said, shaking her head. “Words, please.”

                “Food,” I finally managed. “Food.”

                “Do you want me to make you two waffles?” she asked.

                “Food. Waffles. Yes,” I said, nodding.

                “So, what are you guys up to today?” mom asked, getting to work making us waffles.

                I rubbed at my eyes, trying to remember how to words. When I could finally recall enough vocabulary to interact like a normal human, I looked up at my mom.

                “We’re going on a date to the movies and…I guess lunch,” I said, glancing at Mitch.

                “Lunch. Dinner. I don’t care,” Mitch said with a shrug.

                “Lunch,” I said with a nod. “We’ll eat breakfast, get ready, head out to the movies, and then get lunch.”

                “That sounds like a plan,” he said.

                After a few minutes, mom slid us each a plate of waffles. Mitch and I dug in hungrily, and I thanked every religious figure known to man that my mom had the ability to make food without setting it on fire.

                “Thanks mom,” I said when I was done eating. “We’re going to get ready and head out.”

                I grabbed Mitch’s hand, pulling him with me to my bedroom. We changed into fresh clothes and got ready before heading back out. I grabbed car keys and peeked into the kitchen, where my mom as cleaning up.

                “Bye mom,” I said.

                “Bye Jace. I love you. Text me if you’re not coming home tonight,” she said.

                “You got it dude,” I said, flashing her thumbs up and reminding myself to stop watching Full House reruns.

                Mitch followed me out to the car and I took off towards the movie theater. I glanced at Mitch.

                “So, what do you want to see?” I asked.

                “We’re not seeing The Fault In Our Stars,” he said sternly.

                “Yes, because I find watching a movie about kids dying of cancer to be the perfect date,” I said.

                “I don’t even know what’s in theaters. Let’s just pick a random movie,” Mitch said.

                “Sounds good to me,” I said with a shrug.

                I drove us to the movie theater and parked the car. We got out and went up to the ticket booth, scanning the times of the movies.

                We bought tickets for a random movie that happened to be playing in ten minutes and made our way to the theater. We sat in the back, and I was pleased to see that there weren’t a lot of people in the theater.