Swan Song {8}

“Jace? Mitch?”

                The confused voice had me picking my head sleepily. Jasper was staring at me and Mitch, an eyebrow raised.

                “Why are you two sleeping on the counter?” he asked.

                “We fell asleep,” I said, rubbing at my eyes. I looked over at Mitch, but he was fast asleep. “I don’t think he’s moving.”

                “I think he is,” Jasper said. “I want to eat breakfast at the counter and I can’t do that if my son is passed out on it.”

                He went over and carefully pulled Mitch into his arms, grunting as he did so. I nearly laughed at the fact that big, tough Mitch was being carried by his dad.

                “Wha?” Mitch mumbled sleepily. “Put me down, asshole.”

                Jasper got a better hold on him. “Your mother should really teach you not to be a rude bastard. Now shut up. You were hogging the counter. You have a bed, you know.” He turned and carried Mitch out of the room.

                He returned a minute later and made the two of us omelets. He slid it to me and sat down where Mitch had been.

                “So are you Mitch good now?” he asked.

                “Yea,” I said, shoving food into my mouth so that I wouldn’t have to speak.

                “Good,” Jasper said with a nod. “It was getting uncomfortable to watch.”

                “Good to know,” I said.

                “Also, next time, make sure Mitch falls asleep in his bed. He’s heavy and he is not worth me hurting my back,” Jasper said.

                I laughed. “I’ll keep that in mind next time I see him passing out on the counter.”

                “You boys are so freaking weird. Rio was just casually sleeping on Mitch’s bed, you and Mitch were just casually sleeping on the counter…” He shook his head. “Freaking weirdoes. I wish I had a daughter. Actually, no I don’t. Raising a girl looks terrifying. Do you know how slutty girls are? Sure my boys aren’t angels, but at least they don’t walk around in short shorts with boobs hanging out.”

                “Oh, you mean Shane didn’t tell you about that?” I said.

                Jasper sighed helplessly. “I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Shane came strutting out here in short shorts.”

                “Yea, me either,” I said and laughed.

                “Jace…” He sighed.

                “Sorry I snapped at you guys,” I said, honestly feeling guilty. No could replace my mom and dad, but Carol and Jasper had taken me in as their own ever since I was little. They accepted me as a third son, and treated me like family. Our school used to do a father’s day picnic, and my first father’s day without my dad, Jasper had spent the day with me and Shane and Mitch to make me feel better.

                “Hey, don’t look so upset. You’re part of the family, and families are assholes to each other. It happens,” he said with a reassuring smile. “I just…Look, don’t take this too harsh, alright? But please don’t cut Mitch out again. I know you had your reasons. Carol and I don’t hold it against you. But Mitch is our son, and we’ve never seen him so upset. Sure, he carried on like everything was fine. But we know him well enough to know when something is really bothering him. He acted…off. For a while, actually. I don’t want to see that again. I don’t want either of you to get hurt.”