chapter four ~ let me drive

"Hellooooo? Miss!"

A blinding light invaded my vision for a second as I weakly fought to open my eyelids.
The cashier girl was knelt beside my head, shaking me roughly, a security guard stood behind her.

Another checkout boy was on my other side, a concerned expression written across his face.
"Are you okay?" He asked.

My tongue felt heavy, my lips dry. My head like it was stuffed with cotton wool.
I groaned.
My head hurt.

As I glanced around, I noticed a small crowd had gathered around me.
I wish I'd died there and then.

"Come on." The checkout boy said, standing up and then reaching down to take my arm to help me up. The girl supported him the best he could.
I was pulled upright, and staggered on my feet for a second, as the guard called for someone to bring a chair through.

"I'm fine," I croaked, already scandalised enough, "No chair, please."
The checkout boy had a grip on my arm, and he gave me another look.
"You're sure?"

"Positive."
It took two attempts to get the words out.

He nodded, before letting go and straightening out his cap, "Okay. You don't want water or an ambulance?"

"No - thank you." I choked hurriedly.
The girl brushed herself down.
"You just went down out of nowhere. You hit your head on Jake's seat pretty hard as you did. We can get you to a doctor?"

I shook my head, and very nearly toppled again. The whiplash was unexpected.
"Please, I just - I forgot my money." I managed, humiliated by the crowd of people still around us.

The boy's brows shot up, but the girl nodded understandingly, "Its fine. You can leave your bags here and come back with the money."

Checkout girl eyed me warily, "Do you remember your name?"

I swallowed, only to discover my tongue had gone completely dry and I managed to rasp out, "Faye. My name is Faye."

She nodded, her eyes still indicating she didn't trust me not to just crash back to the floor, "Well, Faye, you can leave this here and bring the money back. It's not going to be a problem."

I was practically jumping at the opportunity, although the idea of coming back made my stomach twist. I was in the right mind to tell her to just put it all back.
But the boy stepped in, "She can't drive like this."

As I was about to argue and tell him I needed to get home somehow, he yanked off his apron and cap, "I'll drive her."

I gawked, and the girl rolled her eyes, "You're at work, dummy. And she's a stranger."

Once again, I was on her side but never seemed to be able to get a word in edgeways.
"It's fine, Leah. I just finished my shift anyways - I'll bring her back, don't worry."

"I'll walk." I blurted out.
They both looked at me for a moment, as if they had forgotten I was even there - ironic, since I was their topic to argue over.

"No chance," he said, "let me just grab my coat from out back and I'll drive you."

Awkwardly, I watched him sprint towards the back before facing the girl again. Her eyes had narrowed, "How far away do you live?"