Trusting the Family

The rest of 4th year continued without any other events. Severus didn't have the heart to talk to Harry the next morning after the third task. Instead, he comforted his son as he uncontrollably wept and cried over his friend. Finally, summer rolled around and the two packed their things and left for Spinners End. That's when Severus sat him down for the conversation.

"Harry, we need to talk," Severus said from his place by the door to he living room. Harry looked up from his book.

"About what?" he asked. Severus walked over to a nearby chair and sat down.

"Do you know anything about the Death Eaters?"

"They are followers of Voldemort," he replied.

"Well, it's time you knew," he paused and took a deep breath, "I'm a Death Eater," and to prove his point he undid his cuff on his left sleeve and rolled it up to reveal the dark mark against his skin.

"Dad..." Harry said sitting up more.

"Now, please hear me out before you say anything," he asked of him, "I was in my seventh year when one day my father requested my presence at home. When I arrived home my father took me on a walk. It was a short walk for he led me to a secluded alleyway where there were these people with long, black cloaks and masks on. The one grabbed me ruffly by the arm and the other grabbed hold of my father. We were whisked away till we laned in front of a manor. Then it was a good ten-minute walk until we were inside. I was in a massive ballroom filled with more hooded and masked people. I knew then I was surrounded by Death Eaters. My father stood a few feet away from me, refused to look at me. Eventually, after standing there for what felt like an eternity the Dark Lord entered the room."

____

____

'I'm going to die'  Severus thought to himself as he stood there before the Dark Lords presence. Every Death Eater fell to one knee while his father and him stayed standing. Severus kept his mask in check, not letting his fear show through.

"Ah, Severus Snape," he said as he reached out a hand and cupped his cheek. He stiffened at the touch.

" I have heard so much about you from your darling father," he said. He then snapped his fingers and a man rose from the floor and walked over to his father. He then presented him with a pouch. Severus could hear the change rattle around in it. That bastard sold him off!

"What do you want?" he asked through clenched teeth. Voldemort gave the boy in front of him a smirk.

"What I want is very simple. I wish for you to join me. I have some people at Hogwarts who have been keeping an eye on you for a while now. You're top of your class in every subject. Especially potions. I could use someone like you in my ranks."

"And if I refuse?" he questioned him.

"You can't. Your father already had you paid for," and at that moment he was seized and forced to take a knee by two other Death Eaters. One pulled up his left sleeve to expose his left forearm. Voldemort raised his wand and with a swift movement pressed the tip into his skin. Hot firey pain erupted over his skin as the dark mark embedded itself into his skin. He refused to cry out, refused to show this monster in front of him satisfaction of causing him pain. When he was finished, Voldemort stood back with a satisfied look on his face.

"This is what I need in my ranks. Not even a whimper of pain escaped your lips. Already you are promising, better than the rest who all cried out in pain. Impressed, you've earned a small reward. Name something you desire and you will have it."

Severus held his left arm with his right and looked at the mark. His new mark that marked his as evil. His new mark that now would prevent him from doing so much with his life. His new mark that now just ruined his life. And it was al his fathers' fault. Filed with anger Severus lifted his head to his new Lord.